How Asus could sell me an upgrade to the Vivotab Note 8.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yuki, Feb 21, 2015.

1. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

The Asus Vivotab 8 is a very nice device - and right now, over one year after ist introduction, there still is no real upgrade or update in the market. The only Newcomer, the Toshiba Write, is pretty much the same as the 203/14 Vivotap, it even lacks a housing/storage for the Stylus.

So, in order to make me buy a new tablet, asus should offer a Vivotap 8 v2 with

Keep:
    - nice baytrail-atom platform
    - nice wacom with storage in the device
    - Stereo Speakers (could still be improved a bit :)
    - dual cameras (could still be improved a bit)
    - sd Card Slot (better connect it via usb3 in the new device)
    - easy Access to internal components
    - Microsoft Office SBS included (not Office 365)

Enhance:
    - fullHD 1920/1080 8 Inch Screen (or even 2048*1536)
    - 4GB Ram
    - 128 GB M2 ssd instead of max 64 gb emmc
    - Windows 64 instead of Windows 32 installed
    - install sd-card media for Windows included not only in the 32gb Version :)

Add:
    - add hdmi/dp out
    - add another usb-port, and make it usb 3 to be precise
    - 3g/umts/wwlan
    - Flash lamp on back

All These enhancements & improvements would barely cost +-100$ more to manufacture, i would however be happy to pay 500-600€/$ for such a device, and it would be unique in the Marketplace, all otrhe manufacturers sleep and no one has a complete offer as described above in ist offerings. technically, its no Problem at all, heck, even i could manufacture & integrate a prototype (only item i wouldnt know where to buy would be 8´1920*1080 with wacom digitizer)

p.s.
    Nice but no must:
    - NFC
    - IR Emitter for remote
    - Fitting Keyboard-cover

riukas and WillAdams like this.
  2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I completely agree with your post. I love my Vivotab, I haven't had any issues with it. but I am envious of the beautiful high resolution of the screen on the Lenovo Tablet 2 8 inch, I'd like a better camera, cherry trail, easy USB Charging + OTG (or just a real USB port)
    the bare minimum it would take to make me upgrade to something else (assuming it is a wacom or equivalent active digitizer with a pen silo) is one of these features:
    -1920x1080 or higher 8"-9"
    -cherry trail

unfortunately, I'm almost even skeptical if there will be another 8 inch wacom device..... let alone our wishlists above.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Housing? Perhaps. Storage? Yes, it does have that, it's just that you store the clip in the unit. Hence, the stylus is stored on the outside of the slate. In another side Nye the Wacom AES is in my opinion superior to the ERM. Sure, hover distance takes a hit, but in real life usage it doesn't influence my work flow.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

You misunderstood - not an external strap/clip-on like on my sony vaio tap 11, or the toshiba write 2, but an internal storage silo as in the Samsung notes or Asus Vivotabs.

External Clip/strap-ons dont protect the Stylus (internals storgae Silos do), externally attached the Stylus can detach itself, consumes space, and is in the way on that side if you hold the tablet in the Hand - thats why internal storage Silos are the preferred and more ergonomic soution.
    -
    Well, Wacom themself Position their AES Product as the inferior, but cheaper entry solution, and the ERMs as their better, flagship product. The EMR requires a battery, the AES doesnt. The battery increases the stylus Minimum weight and size - probably one of the reasons why the toshiba write has no space for an internal storage silo, and as of now, there is only one pen (which seems impossible to get an alternative or replacement unit for), while the AES Systems have a huge selection and variety of stlus available, ranging fom ultraslim to bulky & large.

The active Systems (as ntrig or aes) usually work more precise in the Corners (i have an active ntrig on my vaio tap 11) without calibration, in comparision the emrs offer better pressure-sensitivity (and angles / directional ). For taking notes i wouldnt prefer any of the two solution (if i can accept the limited choice of only one Stylus), for artwork and drawing however i would prefer the EMR - and especially the wide variety (and availability) of Stylus for the emr is a big Advantage for artists (as example i have the ultralight in-case Stylus for on the road, and my other pens for drawing). Also the batteries on the active Systems (as ntrig or the cheaper wacom emr tech) always love murphys law : they decide to go empty when there is no replacement battery available, as my active ntrig already demonstrated to me twice:)

but the main Point: devices as the 2015 toshiba write are no updaate/upgrade for owners of an 2013/14 asus vivotab 8 - it has no internal storage silo, uses the cheaper EMR and besides that they are pretty much the same tech (btw, does the toshiba have gps integrated? i dont remember, i use gps on my vivotab often). if tosiba would have choosen an 1920*1080 Display, another usb3 port, wwlan/3g/umts/4g/lte, ssd instead of emmc, 64bit win, 4gb ram, hdmi or at least some of These - i certainly would upgrade. but like this, ist no upgrade, sadly.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think it is a matter of user preference. From Wacom's own press release, your right they created AES to be a low cost alternative, but, nonetheless, it does have some very real advantages, and, if those advantages are important enough to you (edge performance, absolute calibration), and the EMR advantages are unimportant to you, then AES may be a worthwhile upgrade for some users.

I happen to agree with you, but I know some people are bugged tremendously by edge performance and the pen tip not lining up perfectly with the hover cursor. In my use I don't find the need to avoid the edges of the screen to affect my work flow, and I long since learned to watch the hover cursor rather than the pen for precision work, so none of the EMR disadvantages affect my workflow. On the other hand, hover distance does. I even notice a significant effect going from my EMR tablets with ~1 inch hover distance down to the ones with ~0.5 inch, and I greatly notice it with N-trig on the SP3. It may depend greatly on personal writing styles, so I can totally believe this affects some users more than others.

@Kumabjorn, how does AES compare in your opinion to N-trig in the SP3? (for those of us who may be familiar with SP3, but don't have an AES tablet around to try out).

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'd say the AES is a tad more precise and the stylus has a better nib than the N-Trig on SP3, but that is obviously a subjective feeling. Being of metal it also gives a more genuine feeling between your fingers, but on the other hand you lack the integration with OneNote.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea I loved the metal feel of my Wacom Cross pen, but after nearly a decade of use it developed some problems, so I don't use it much anymore.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Was the precision better than this video of the R7?

I typically think of precision in terms of how responsive the digitizer is to extremely fine movements. Since the EAS suffers from hover lag (from what I read), that totally kills precision for me.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It took me awhile to figure out what the guy was doing. I don't need that kind of precision. That test is really splitting hairs and may mean more to an artist than a note-taker like myself.

I need the pen to write as close to my movements as possible. I have never had a pen other than an EMR pen that could do that to my satisfaction, including the Surface 3 N-Trig pen. There is some momentary lag that you can feel.

If Asus re-released this unit with a Cherry Trial Atom and changed nothing else, I would still be tempted. If it upped RAM to 4GB, I would be more interested. If it permitted charging and data from the same mUSB, that would be even better. If it improved the display and built it better, that would be a plus as well. I like the Toshiba and think it has some mid-generation improvements over the M80TA, but not enough for me to trade it in or sell it for the Toshiba. I am still hoping for a small Core M. Maybe Lenovo will realize it missed the boat with its TPT8 and put a digitizer in it.

The question is would you buy a TPT8 with Cherry Trail power and Wacom AES pen that does not sit resident in a silo or go with a straight update of the M80TA with Cherry Trial power?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    dstrauss likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry, I should have prefaced the video with an explanation :vboops::

The video is demonstrating the difficulty in resizing columns where the divider "grab zone" is small, as per a discussion on N-Trig performance on the SP3.

It might seem like splitting hairs, but actually the hover lag/non-responsiveness causes problems for any application that employs small UI handles: it could be as simple as trying to resize columns in list view in Explorer.

As for improvements from Asus, did you know they already released several revisions of the M80T, one of which (M82T) features dual booting Windows/Android? The new chassis also sports GPS and is slightly narrower wide in portrait (easier for one-handed use). Of course, they removed the active digitizer—so pretty much killed the value :vbfrown:but at least it shows Asus is still interested in the 8" Windows tablet form-factor.

Who knows, may one-day they'll surprise us with an updated original VivoTab with CherryTrail (or even Core M) out of nowhere.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015