How are the Super Speed (SS) SSDs different? (HP Spectre Folio)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Billy Cantor, Mar 27, 2019.

1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know the manufacturer and model number of the 2TB NVMe TLC SSD used in the HP Zbook X2? According to this post last year, the 1TB TLC SSD's model number is KXG50ZNV1T02, manufactured by Toshiba with unknown TBW. But I'm not sure about the 2TB TLC SSD of this year.

It looks like HP started to deprecate their Z Turbo series MLC SSD for Zbook X2 (and maybe their other laptops/mobile workstations as well) since around spring of this year. This is the case for both US and European market. As far as I remember, in the beginning of this year, I could select the "1TB Z Turbo NVMe Multi-Layer Cell (MLC) SSD" option at https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=b-configure-your-workstation. But all MLC options were no longer available later on. All current available SSD options are TLC (except for the unbranded "128GB M2 SATA-3 Value Solid State Drive" that could be the even worse QLC).

As far as I could remember, the durability of 1TB Z Turbo NVMe MLC SSD is at least 800 TBW, and it seems to be manufactured by Samsung as the enterprise/business counterpart of their 960 Pro/970 Pro series, which is pretty decent. Now the most durable option for the customizable Zbook X2 is the 2TB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD, but I'm still worried about the TBW, as according to Steve's post above, although HP has sped up the new generation TLC SSD's read/write to the same level of previous generation MLC, there seems to be little or no change on durability in terms of TBW. It looks like even for a 2TB TLC SSD, the TBW is perhaps around 800, which is no more than the TBW of 1TB Z Turbo MLC SSD. So I do hope someone can provide the manufacturer and model number of the 2TB TLC SSD.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@testplayer : I can't answer your primary question, but perhaps I can supply some perspective.

To begin, I suggest that you read Post # 760 in the thread ZBook X2 Just Announced: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/zbook-x2-just-announced.73074/ (Also see Posts # 729 and 731 for information on X2 technical documents)

My observations about HP are that first, they are really behind their workstation product line, both with product support and updates and with product documentation. In my experience, this is uncommon and therefore noteworthy. Second, HP seems to constantly evolve their offerings in response to market forces, and I believe that they do this the best intentions to maintain quality (but also being mindful about cost / price). Hence, the current SSD customizing options for the X2 have changed since I wrote Post # 760.

Based on the above, my guess would be that the SSD OEMs have moved inexorably to TLC memory modules (from MLC), probably having determined that practical TLC lifespans have become comparable to MLC lifespans. HP, in turn, has evolved accordingly. (In fact, even a year ago when I customized my X2, the practical differences between the Z Turbo MLC SSD and the "vanilla" NVMe TLC SSD were neglilible; I could have easily gone either way...) I assume that HP sees this as the best current trade between long-term reliability and cost / price and I don't think that they would do this if they thought that it would adversely impact the quality of their workstation product line. (Where I have been able to determine the brands of components that HP uses in their workstation line, those brands have typically been reputable.)

So my bottom line is that I would not be overly worried about the durability or performance of HP's 2TB NVMe option. You might try contacting the workstation technical support group and simply asking them; in my experience, they are a pretty candid group of people. But no matter what, I don't think you should let uncertainty prevent you from selecting the SSD size option that you want...

testplayer likes this.
  3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! Many thanks for your detailed information!

Yeah, I have emailed workstationconfig@hp.com regarding my questions. Now I would probably go with the maximum size option to gain maximum TBW, also because the price different between the "vanilla" 1TB TLC and 2TB TLC is reasonably small on HP's UK store (£178.26, around $225.45). And according to your post http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/zbook-x2-just-announced.73074/page-76#post-527544, if HP is really using Western Digital Black as the "vanilla" 2TB TLC SSD, its speed will beat the Z Turbo MLC's for sure, and the TBW is the same as that of the same sized Z Turbo MLC (https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-nvme-ssd), which is good enough I think, although it may still be inferior than Samsung's 970 PRO/EVO/EVO Plus series.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  4. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

HP lists the 2TB drive options for my ZBook as:

Toshiba XD6 which is basically the WD Black
    Samsung PM981 aka 970 EVO