Honeycomb on the slate - Got it installed!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Sambo80, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foremi11

foremi11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just in case anybody is still interested, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich will have native stylus support including pressure sensitivity and it will know the difference between finger and stylus inputs also...

ICS is also supposed to be natively X86, and the guys from android-x86 are hoping its good enough that you can just add drivers for your device and be good, but google has not said anything, so nobody will know until the source code is out...

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

That may be so, but that doesn't mean handwriting recognition. Without it, stylus support is just "HTC Flyer" like.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

But, doesn't the HTC Flyer use an N-Trig digitizer(I think the Thinkpad Tablet also uses one)? So, not sure what you mean by that comment.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...but will it? After doing all of the above and getting it on your device you could have done a vlite install of Windows and disabled a whole load of services which will provide a very, very quick device. Tweaking windows is damn easy

5. foremi11

foremi11 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very impressed with the performance increase with windows 8 dev preview, but as good as the performance is now, it still is windows under their.

The start menu is better for touch, along with the different gestures to bring stuff up and to multitask but explorer is no different except for the ribbon, the touch control panel just links to the old one for more options which is horrible for touch on a small screen.

Overall I think W8DP is faster, but the touch experience still has a long way to go.

Dont get me wrong, I love my slate, I just want to dual boot android for web browsing and media stuff, but I like having windows on their also for onenote, and other windows only stuff.

It would be very easy for somebody to make a keyboard app that is basically a pen input panel on ice cream sandwich, similar to palm os's graffiti, but that had some drawbacks, mainly size...

6. lewiskygirl

lewiskygirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Sambo80, Could you be kind enough to give me the steps so I can do so as well.

Also, if it is not possible to use the touchscreen or pen, how can I operate it as I saw you do in the video.

Karen

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

BC,
    The HTC Flyer does not have handwriting recognition (yet). The marks you put on the screen are just like marks on a piece of paper.

The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet seems to have some functionality, but right now with all Android systems, handwriting recognition (the ability to handwrite and have what you scribble change to words of text) is limited to an app by app situation. In other words, the ability is not in the OS but built into the particular app you are using.

This will hopefully change as time goes on but it is not yet ready for deployment. N-trig, as part of the push to apply to Android devices, is said to be backing an effort to bring handwriting recognition to Android like Win 7 has with a TIP and everything. This is a good thing because Win 8 CP has demoted pen use from its pinnacle of Win 7. It appears MS is abandoning the pen. Hopefully Android can pick up the slack.

Of course this whole condition would change the minute Apple puts out a tablet or convertible with its full OS; handwriting recognition has been in the full Apple OS for over 10 years! All they need is an active digitizer and a pen... As soon as Apple invents pen input everyone will want it including the touch screen monitor on your new refrigerator and using a pen will be cool again. ;)