Honeycomb on the slate - Got it installed!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Sambo80, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah i have three slates, and this one is actually the best as far as the light-bleed goes lol.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Trust me, I understand (and used to be a part of ) the need to "go where no man has gone before" very well. However, I just don't see why Android would be of any benefit on a Slate 500 given that it is fatter and heavier than the Android standard tablets; the screen is generally inferior (just put the Slate next to Nook Color - the differences in favor of the Nook are breathtaking); and no pen input. Might just as well upgrade that same Nook Color to CM7 or Honeycomb and be done with it.

3. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

I absolutely agree. I just put honeycomb on a nook color for a friend and i think it ran spectacularly! and if i had the extra $250.00 or a few less kids and a less exspensive wife :O) then i run right out and buy one.

I have an iPad as well and while its a great deivce that gets a ton of usage around my house, its just not geeky enough, as in its just so fenced in.

I had a G Tablet, but if you want to talk horrible screens there is the prime example.

4. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Well done Sambo80! From the looks of your vid, you may have solved what was my last major obstacle in getting Android 2.3 to play nice with my slate: the video drivers. I actually have the touch screen working (had to recompile the android kernel with the linux n-trig modules included), but the video drivers, while functional, perform like crap. Youtube video playback was basically a slide show. Did the image you installed on your Slate "just work", or did you have to do anything with the GMA500 drivers? Have you tested out Youtube or any OpenGL apps, and if so, how did they perform? That interface looked to be accelerated itself, but I'm not sure...

5. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

The image i used just worked, aside from touchscreen and wifi that is, i have not tested video playback. i'll do that now and report back.

6. Vic20

Vic20 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had previously been working with Gingerbread on my slate with the same problems you are showing (Wireless, ntrig), thanks for the link I am going to switch over to this now and see what I can get working. :)

7. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

lol, i just realized it'll be hard to test youtube without wifi! I'll try and play something off a usb key.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

9. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

So i managed to get the Benchmark app to behave a run a test, just shot some video to show...the video perfromance.

good stuff starts around 1:45 in...

HP Slate Android Honeycomb Benchmark Video test - YouTube

PS, the video is shot with my phone so the test looks better when viewed in person.

Now if we could get touch and wifi working then this wouldn't be half bad.

10. foremi11

foremi11 Pen Pal - Newbie

If we could get touch and wifi to work on this, I would have a slate 500 on order tomorrow...

Its not that I don't like windows 7 on it( I would have 8DP on it though), its that honeycomb would be much quicker and the slate 500 is not that big really, yeah its a little thicker but not so much it really makes much of a difference.