Honesty from students: how much do you use your tablet in class?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by thrawn86, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gohanssjn

gohanssjn Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the main reason I am looking into a tablet, to try and stay a bit more focused and 'interactive' during class. I tend to shut off my brain when I type and get sidetracked on the web.

Bad, bad habits indeed.

So, how many actually use the tablet in classes, and how much does it help?

2. Semantic

Semantic Pen Pal - Newbie

Turn off wifi? Also, use the onenote record feature.

3. gohanssjn

I use a tape recorder if I fade out.

It doesn't help that my professors regularly go on tangents unimportant to the study.

And my laptop now has no mic (XPS M1210).

4. paradigmshift

paradigmshift Pen Pal - Newbie

I use my tablet in every class. While typing may be faster, hand writing has an organic feel that, for some reason, helps me learn. I take all my notes by hand. Aside from the fact that using a tablet is a pain if you want to multitask (no convenient hotkeys and shortcuts). I find that when I throw Onenote in full screen mode, I can focus on the task at hand and take effective notes. Additionally, I tend to get side tracked by formatting and how everything looks when I'm typing notes. Writing by hand allows me to organize everything exactly how I like. There are several other nice features as well, such as having upwards of... 8 different pen types and 4 highlighters (the default in Onenote) instantly accessible to me. Theoretically you could make whatever color you like. The ability to search through your notes (even when they're handwritten) is also a lifesaver.

Just for kicks, make sure you get a scanner and scan all your syllabi (syllabuses?) into Onenote. It's terribly convenient to only have to take your computer to class. Some scan in their textbooks, but that always seemed a bit excessive to me.

Finally, back up your notes. Your computer crashes, you're screwed.

Edit: Kill the wifi. That definitely helps.

5. gohanssjn

Yeah, unfortunately our professors also regularly refer to pdf's and the like online, thus the wifi.

Oh, and I alread have a lot of pdf's and syllabi in OneNote, and it syncs between my Desktop, Laptop, and thumb drive. I keep redundants.

But cool, thanks.

Just hard knowing I am on a budget, and that this would probably help a lot. And I can get a refurb Dell Latitude XT pretty loaded for $1205.

DECISIONS.

6. gohanssjn

It's sitting at submit....and I just don;t know if i can pull the trigger.

I hate always getting like this with big purchases. EVERY time!

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Tablets are the best tool you can get. I use it 100% of the time in slate mode writing notes.

Pull the trigger. you will not be sorry. I garuntee it.

8. gohanssjn

AhhhHHhHhHhHhhhhhhhHhHHh

9. gohanssjn

Wow, the XT sure gets a lot of hate in the user reviews though...is the ULV that slow?

10. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I use my T4220 and OneNote, though I rarely get out the pen. I will use the pen when something I'm writing absolutely would require a pen, like when drawing bell curves or doing math problems. Though for classes that require math I prefer to use regular pencil and paper. Other than that, I feel like everyone's looking at me when I use the pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.