Hey guys. I just bought a new fujitsu t902.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by zamanabbas, Jan 22, 2013.

1. zamanabbas

zamanabbas Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone.

I just bought a new fujitsu t902 laptop/tablet convertible.
    Can i just how pleased i am. I saw this lap and new "thats it".
    Anyways i live in london and unfortunately was unable to buy this machine from the U.K
    I resorted to purchasing this baby from Laptop Authority U.S.

Can i just say how pleased i am with laptop authority.
    I bought this machine on 18th of jan 2013 and recieved on the 22nd (Today) jan.

In UNDER 5 DAYS i recieved this beauty.
    How incredible is that? So for those in the U.K, do not fall in despair.

Anyways, as far as specs goes:

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3520M processor (dual-core) with Turbo Boost 2.0 (3.60 GHz)
    Memory (RAM) Standard 2048 MB (2 GB) (lowest Standard)
    HDD 500.0 GB 7200RPM
    Media Drive DVD-Multiburner (with Double-Layer)

It comes with the preinstalled Window 7. With the windows 8 deal in current place i bought the windows 8
    upgrade for a mere £15 pounds. However i have not installed it yet.

My question to all the T902 owners.. Should i go with the windows 8 or stick with window 7.
    (maybe stoneseeker/others would know well)

I just made a back-up of the factory reset image which were:
    1. Bootable Disc
    2. Recovery disc.

My seconds is how can i make a copy of the windows 7 os onto a disc. Just in cas if i may want to revert back
    to window 7 from 8.

What good software are goor to be used on windows 7 and windows 8?

I need a good writing software.. As i am in univeristy, i want to be able to write fast lecture notes (bsc med)
    without any hassle.

Anyways thank you for your support and guidance...

All comments are welcomed :)

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Congrats!! I'm jealous of the i7 at such a deal! I spent $2600 on mine for the processor upgrade (and a modular bay battery), so its nice to see them finally offering pre-builts with the i7. You should try an dget a hold of the bay battery as well, it is super useful and worth the extra weight!

There are a couple recent posts of those who had a LOT of problems with windows 8 who then downgraded to windows 7 and it solved all there issues. Others however, like CMenice have got it working fine. I think the problem for many was updating windows after the factory install, and updating drivers... which seems stupid to have to avoid something so basic, so I think the new OS still has plenty of kinks to work out.

I am personally leaving Windows 8 alone for a few reasons:
    - I don't ever use touch. I see no reason to when I use the pen so exclusively...
    - I've got it all working so perfect in Windows 7 now, so why change?
    - windows 8 still so new, not sure if it will have proper driver support for all the programs I use on a regular basis.
    - I love Windows 7.

"One note" is king of the note taking software out there. Some use Windows Journal too, but I think it pales in comparison.

I considered ordering through Laptop Authority, but was worried I would pay enormous border fees and extra taxes on top of the US taxes. Was that the case for you??

3. zamanabbas

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
    Well... who needs an extra battery when the existing battery is superb?
    How great is that?
    but yes if i ever need it, then will do so. Agian that is why i love this laptop, it gives me many options in a 13.3 inch laptop, which no other hi spec laptops can.

I wanted a small laptop (regardless of paying taxes or surcharges), which i can take to university at no hassle but which also offers the same specs as ordinary laptops would these days.
    Optical drive was highly important for me. but I also needed something that offers state of the art stylus action. I mean a pen enable latop that had no choppy results. Something that will last 5 + yrs in my education without any hinderance.

I must say this laptop size is quite a beast. 13.3 inch? it seems more like a 14+ inch (due to the border frames)
    It bigs i grant you but its also thin and extremely light for a laptop this size. + you can also remove the optical drive for extra wieght of.
    Holding it in one hand is like holding a piece of cake. (extremely light for this size)

I really would like to install windows 8, why? becuase i want to show off, lol.
    Well considering i paid a hefty price for this, why then?, i ask you why then should win 8 be omitted?

It feels slight rough (friction) when the digitizer pen touched the screen. is this normal. should i apply a screen film?

Thanks for the information stoneseeker. Just what i needed, Reliable and honest!
    I will try them both, and see which suits me better, though i have heard of one note's superiority.

Is there any tips and tricks i should be aware of? Im thinking of ditching norton antivirus and going for some thing free like avg or commodo antivirus. Should i ?

Thnks

Take care:)

4. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll chime in here, since my Windows 8 experience on the t902 was horribly broken. If you try it, I'd suggest doing a clean install, and see if that works better than the upgrade. The drivers were a mess upgrading from Windows 7, and I couldn't get more than five minutes of use out of the computer before one of 10+ symptoms kicked in, rendering it unusable for minutes at a time.

5. cbeater

cbeater Pen Pal - Newbie

ill add my 2 cents regards to win8.

With ssd harddrive, the boot times are amazing.
    However, if you use photoshop, win8 sucks as there is not a button to turn off the touch screen and have to do it via device manager. I do not think there are mature drivers for win8 x64, esp for wacom pen and touch pad.

But I continue to use win8, as i love the boot times.

Tip, if you have win7 x32 and have/want more than 4 gig of ram, you will need x64.
    But when you download win8, it will download x32 version not the x64 version.

To get win8 x64, you will need to find a computer with win7 x64 and download the win8 upgrade software that you get when purchasing win8. After download, choose burn image as .iso and burn it. After there is a register setting you have to do that makes it believe its not an upgrade but a full install. Just google the message you get.

6. stoneseeker

Regarding Anti-virus. Norton is BLOAT. Nuke that crap. I consistently hear from pro's that all you need are these 2 things and your bomb:

Microsoft Security Essentials- free, very light and unobtrusive, and just as good as any other.
    Malwarebytes- there is a free version, but the paid version is certainly a bit better, and is maybe the only program out there worth paying for in this arena, IMO.

these 2 software combined make you pretty much bomb proof, and is very light and unobtrusive to your system.

also, unless you draw/write really rough, you probably don't need a touch screen protector. Put a felt tip in your pen instead, to see if you prefer it, it is certainly softer and feels nicer to me. If you do decide to get a protector, go with Photodon, they have custom cut for the T902, and have terrific customer service. I have 2 from them and the one I am using is excellent. I only have it on to protect my screen from the offchance I drop something on the screen.

good luck!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Deanhosh

Deanhosh Scribbler - Standard Member

I would recommend getting the SSD. The intel 335 or the Samsund 840 in the 240-250 GB range for under 170.00 USD. The SATA 3 interface is a major step up from teh T900. Same drive in both machines and the boot time is substantially faster.

Also consider a good USB 3 stick. Again great to make use the motherboard. I got the extra battery and it does last a long time. I did get the bump case and I always like them.

Congrats!

8. zamanabbas

hi
    thank you everyone!!

i have 3 questions.. can i install the ssd memory drive myself?
    can i install the msata drive myself? since i did not opt for this when purchasing.

I think i will hold back for thewindows8 transition.
    I have bought win 8 but since there are some errors and incompatibilities in drivers i think i will hold back.

Also (3rd question) how do i make a windows 7 copy?
    if i upgrade to window 8, how can i downgrade to windows 7?
    ? i have made the system factory backups. will this install windows 7 if i want to restore my ct902 later in time if need be?

9. cbeater

cbeater Pen Pal - Newbie

Installing ssd harddrive is very easy, unscrew the two tiny screws in the bottom and harddrive comes out, attach the data/power wire and put the rubber sleeve back on. For the msata, i hear read that if you did not get this option the bios does not support it, so it cannot be used; hopefully its just a bios thing and we can change it by installing new bios.

You can download retail win7 from torrent and use the win7 product key written on bottom of your laptop. I read there is a simple method of downgrading from win8 to 7 but havent tried. You can also clone your current harddrive so that you can revert back using a backup software.

10. stoneseeker

If I recall correctly, the mSATA works as a storage drive still, (someone was successful using it despite not ordering with mSATA cache) it just cannot be used to cache the OS in tandem with a HDD. That function is out, and the drive doesn't show up in BIOS, but does shows up in windows.. or something like that. So just for extra storage, its available at least.