Hexacore 45W i7 8750H + Wacom AES + GTX 1050Ti 4GB + 4K 15" IPS + 2 SoDIMM slots= Dell XPS 15 9570

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since Lenovo sh*t the bed by replacing 45W 7700HQ i7 Yoga 720 15" with 15W quad core 8550U Yoga 730 15", Dell comes to the rescue to the power hungry active pen fans with the new XPS 15 9570.

And it's pretty darn good replacement for the Yoga 720 15: 4K IPS with 10pt MT, Hexacore 45W i7 8750H (which will throttle like hell when pressed in that Macbook Pro-esque 4lbs chassis but should be fine in bursts), 2 soDIM slots, GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB VRAM, and Wacom AES digitizer layer. It's exactly what Yoga 730 should have been. The only problem is that it's a normal laptop chassis so you will have to go Shog-tard and use it upside down for drawing.

Good job Dell. Way to blow it, Lenovo.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Nice find! Buyer beware there are sku's without the touchscreen though. So does the screen lay flat upside down, or does the keyboard stick up in the air while drawing on it? lol

I just saw they also sell a version with the i9-8950K, which is a pretty big speed leap to 2.9 ghz base speed (turbos of 4.8 ghz!!) Man, if it were EMR I would MAKE it work despite it's lack of convertibleness. I keep meaning to try Wacom AES to see if I could tolerate it enough to work on. N-Trig/MPP is a no go for me so I have my doubts... but in Canada I can get this machine with the i9 hex, 32gigs RAM and 1TB SSD all for $3699 CAD, which is amazing compared to similar penabled power houses like the ZBook X2 which would cost me $4500 - $6000 for even near similar specs.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Its an upside down KB up situation like with the Envy 17T. Slightly less unweirdy since its 2" smaller than the 17T. lolz

BTW, I wouldnt go faster than 8750H in that thing. Its thin chassis is almost new MB Pro bad for thermal throttling. I think someone tested 3GHz average speed on it over time. MB Pro did 2.9GHz avg.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

good to know! Too bad, regularly hitting 4.8ghz would be pretty amazing...

bloodycape likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Just to add some insight, the i7-8750H's specified 4.1 GHz is the single core boost clock and its all-core (or six core) boost clock is 3.9 GHz. Additionally, this all-core boost clock, as its name implies, is a unsustained holding of clock rate that pushes power usage above its specified TDP 45W into 50W-70W territory for a temporary period. This boost only occurs if and when certain temperature and power requirements are met and respected. This is why that, in practice, unless you have these processors in laptops with 17-inch footprints, they will throttle due to the sheer limits of physics, due to cramped quarters and restricted airflow. As such, there is no feasible way you will be see a maintained 4.0 GHz all-core clock on a 45W CPU until 7nm or later when power requirements are reduced.

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Lisa just posted a comparison of the 9570 to the Blade 15. I haven't seen it, but knowing her she probably talks about pen support.

7. stoneseeker

Exactly, I only ever really expect the base clock speeds to last on sustained load (painting or gaming for hours). That's why I would love to utilize the i9 8950, because just the base speed is significantly faster than the 8750H. Unfortunate that this machine can't cool the chip effectively..

Here's a handy comparison between the 2 CPU's for anyone curious:
    https://ark.intel.com/compare/134906,134903

8. Shogmaster

Base clock? No way thats the case. Im betting 3Ghz sustained. You know. Like the tests results. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.