Helpful article on choosing the CPU/GPU for your type of art.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Worzyl, May 31, 2020.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong thread, but I thought that this article could be useful in giving people a head start on determining what type of power they will need in regards to cpu/gpu, for animation, video editing etc. when choosing a tablet:

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-for-animation/

Although this link is for desktops - it still provides some valuable information and can help give buyers a clearer idea of their requirements when choosing a tablet in terms of processing power.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

LOL, we don't have the kind of choices they in desktops for penabled devices. Currently there is only one Ryzen 4000 penabled device worth a damn: Flex 5 14".

3. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes - you are correct regarding the choices. The article is mainly for those that maybe unsure what type of processor they should be concentrating on for their art, before posting on "What type of tablet they should by". This can help them have a clearer understanding what they need, which can aid them and give a bit more information to people on this forum, in helping that person choose a laptop that suits their requirements.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you are 3D animator, the only pen "Tablet" with the beef to do justice I can recommend are 45W CPU units with decent discrete GPU and with enough RAM slots to go beyond 16GB. I can count of those with fingers on one hand: Acer ConceptD 9 (lol "tablet"), HP Zbook X360 15.6... JEBUS, I think I'm already out of devices lolz. Lenovo X1 Extreme/P1 don't count cause they can't even get in tablet form.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the selection of anything penabled beyond a 15w CPU is kind of pathetic.

The Asus Zen Pro Duo has a 45w, and while you can draw on it, the form factor wouldn't make it suitable for long drawing or practical for 3D sessions. On top of that the pen is Pro 3 era MPP. Asus also has a Pro-Art line with really good specs (and insane pricing) but I don't think any of them are penabled, which is kind of comical given the name of the line.

And not 45w, but the Mobile Studio Pro's do use at least a 28w, which is better then a 15w.

What I would love to see, Microsoft is currently using 15w's in their Surface Pro/Book/Laptops, the Book and Pro because of their form factor I can understanding limiting them to 15w, but Microsoft should totally overhaul the Surface Laptop, make it a yoga style form factor for the sake of the pen, and throw in a 45w 6/8 core CPU, and throw in a RTX 2060 to 2080, it seems insane that Microsoft is pitting the Surface Line directly against the Macbook Pro and not going toe to toe from a power perspective. Even the higher speced Macbook Pro 13 models have 28w cores, only the bottom options are rocking 15w.

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using my NP770z5e for 3D animation for many years now and it's been a good machine. I mostly work on a games and FMV at work, but other jobs when I animate on commercials, I use the work desktops which are obviously faster.

In regards to the cpu on my laptop and also due to the models you are given to animate, most rigs didn't slow down very much when doing realtime playbacks. I have never used these lighter watt cpu before, so it will be interesting to see what it can handle.

My laptop is 7 years old, so I expect that then galaxy book flex, should fair better.