Help with tablets with a budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsar007

tsar007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there people, I was wondering If anyone could help me out with finding a very good tablet convertable with a budget in mind.

Origianly I had wanted to spen less then $1,000.00 on it, but after seeing what I got in that price range, I decided to go with twice that amount, at 2,000.00 .... grand total, with tax, shipping, and a good waranty.

Here is what it must do. play dvds, run Photoshop CS2, play 3d games.

I don't care how much it weighs, unless its like 10 lbs. I think that a modular bay is attracitve because it can be swoped out with an extra battery. unless there is a better alternative.

I have been looking at the gateway with a three year warenty and a three year accidental damage warenty as well, for under 2,000.00 If any of the other brands fit into this catagory, that would be great.... I looked into acer and avertek, but i don't know how to custmize them because you can't buy them from their websites.

much thanks to everyone that helps.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you are in luck sir. The Toshiba Tecra M4 is under $2000 but you can get an excellent warenty for two or three years that covers everything. With this the total is $2000 about. Now, the M4 features the best screen in terms of convertibles. It hosts a 128mb nVidia Go 6600 TE video memory card (I believe that is how you would word it) which means that it is fit to play Doom3. While I cannot afford Photoshop I can use GIMP on my R15, and earlier model. Also, the screen resolution on the M4 is much better. I look forward to hearing how you are satisfied with your M4.

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

I agree with poetdante. If size/weight isn't an issue then either of the Toshiba's are excellent choices. If you want the ability to play DVDs with a media bay option in a smaller/lighter form factor you may want to check out the Fujitsu 4020.

4. Daniel325i

Daniel325i Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recieved my tecra M4 yesterday and like it a lot, but I've only spent about 10 minutes playing games on it so I can't tell you anything about that. I got it w/ the 64mb graphics card and 1.73ghz cpu for under $1700 shipped (with 3 year warranty). If you wanted to spend 2k you could spend another $180 on 2gb ram.

I would suggest it over the only other two models that fit your requirements (acer c314xmi and gateway). I have heard a few issues with the gateway and MANY issues w/ the acer. The warranty from acer is somewhat useless from what I understand. Gateway seems to take care of its customers, but seems to have a few more issues w/ build quality...

I checked out a gateway in best buy and played with it for about an hour and have played with mine for about 3 hours so far. I found that I like the 14" on the toshiba over the widescreen on the gateway. It "looks" bigger. I wasn't that impressed with the digital digitizer that the gateway has and prefer the wacom analog that the toshiba has. I did like that the gateway has less preinstalled junk though. Try to find a place to try them out, you should be able to find the gateway at best buy, and they may not have the m4 but they should have the r14, so atleast you can see if you like a wacom or digital digitizer more.

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

gateway is 7lb. *shudder* not worth for a college student like me to carry around. plus the screen is too narrow (14 in but it is across so the horizontal was lessened)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.