Help with one note needed,

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Rigel, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

I am hoping you can help,
    I am a student, I have received note bundles each consisting of several hundred pages. The instructor puts these notes up on the screen and adds notes to them during classes.
    I have a microsoft surface pro tablet.
    I have scanned the notes into PDF form.
    The notes on average or about 40 MB pdf files.
    I want each pdf page to be a separate subpage in Onenote (as it is by default when printing to one note.)

My files get stuck part way syncing to skydrive. Even shift f9 stalls out. I get errors like

We can't sync the notebook because you're offline or because the network location is unavailable. (Error code: 0xE4010645)

I have created new onenote notebooks and moved the files over. I have tried breaking them up into smaller chunks.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office UNiversity.

I have spent more hours on this since than I have on homework.

my file sizes in skydrive for the notebooks are over 140MB

I have saved the files in a local notebook. Then tried moving them over. I have tried copying and pasting.

I really like the sync feature of one note, but it seems like I just need to get a copy of the notebook from my computer and put it on skydrive, so the sync updater does not need to upload everything and from that point can just sync changes.

I am using the 32bit version of office do you think the 64bit version may work better?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I am not sure whats going on, but I can say that 140MB shouldn't be causing a problem. I have several GB worth of notebooks the largest of which is 800MB, so skydrive should be able to handle it. My advices would be to stick with the sync feature within OneNote to try to upload it instead of trying to copy the files manually. Some times the sync stalls out when first trying to get things synced up with large notebooks. At least for me if I give it time (depending on the size of the notebooks and your connection speed (which may be limited by MS servers) this can be quite slow) and re-hit the sync button if it seems it stalled out everything ends up getting synced.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Have you run all of the optional updates? Assuming you are using Office 2013, there were some updates for both SkyDrive and OneNote to address Sync Issues. The other issue may be bandwidth as Windows uses BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer) and the syncing will pause or fail on High Latency Networks.

4. Rigel

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any pending option updates in windows update regarding office or one note so I assume they are installed? I tried a google search but everything kept pointing me to windows update.

I will keep trying to sync then, I know I have left it going for several nights and no more of the data is transfering overnight.

5. jnjroach

Look at the logs and see if there is a specific note that is causing the issue, another fix is to reset the OneNote Cache.

6. Rigel

If I reset the cache will it not erase what ever has not yet been uploaded?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

7. jnjroach

It would, the other option is to move it locally and then move it back to your SkyDrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.