help with a weird issue

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by 65fastback2+2, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

You can ask HP for a new drive. They'll send you a new one to your home, but it's completely clean, so you have to try backup the SWSetup folder on C:\ and the D:\ and E:\ partitions.

With my 1G Tm2, I used Acronis True Image to make an image clone of my old HDD, and then I just used their own USB bootable software to write it on the new HDD.

2. 65fastback2+2

65fastback2+2 Pen Pal - Newbie

guys at work tried to tell me its bad memory and battery?

battery still holds multiple hours charge and I ran the windows memory test on it last night and it passed. hmm.

3. Seketh

Bad memory would give you problems since day 1, it's impossible for the battery to cause that kind of issues, and the "ticking" that you hear on the HDD is a clear sign that it's dying.

It's a known and widespread issue around these forums, there are a few threads about it.

Unfortunely, the only way to fix it, is to replace it.

4. 65fastback2+2

65fastback2+2 Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe I wrote something weird but I dont recall stating the hard drive ticking. its quiet as a mouse.

what did happen is the computer went on the fritz suddenly and blue screened the "dumping memory" error.

the battery also lasts only about 3-4 hours just surfing the internet lightly. not the 6 hours I was getting 4 months ago.

they ran the hp diagnostics on it and thats what came up.

i dont think the battery is the issue....it just happened to be found when scanning the system for issues. and the issue could be ram or hard drive. im actually happy it would just be ram because then I wouldnt have to worry about losing data.

5. Seketh

I thought you meant the HDD is ticking.

You can test the ram using Memtest86+Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If the ram passes, it's the hdd... There are a few apps that can scan the HDD for bad sectors, the most effective are the ones that run on boot, but you can try this one for Windows: Windows Surface Scanner (I didn't test it)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

My TM2 is already having hdd issues...

7. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Buy a ssd when you see a good price on one you like.

seriously buy a ssd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.