Help: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit ?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. I got RTM via MSDN as a student.

I installed the 64bit version because I intend on upgrading to 4GB of RAM in the next few days. I understand that a 32bit OS can't address all of 4GB of memory.

But not all software is designed for 64bit architecture.

My question is: If I install 4GB in a 32bit OS, will I get the speed benefits of dual channel? (I don't care if I only have ~3.2GB ram)

2. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering the same thing. I had Windows 7 RC 32-bit loaded on my 2710P. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and my PC showed "Ram: 4GB (2.99GB Usable)". After the RAM upgrade I installed the Windows 7 RC 64-bit version and it seems alot faster than the 32-bit. I only had a few applications running so I doubt if the 4GB of RAM was the speed difference.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dual Channel is controlled by the hardware. So, regardless what OS you use, Dual Channel is active if the hardware supports it.

For a lot of programs are 64bit versions available, most of the remaining 32bit programs run on the 64bit edition without a problem, and maybe 1% does not work at all.

One program I have did not even start the installer. I just copied the installed program from a 32bit computer to my 64bit OS, and it works now, without installation.

4. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

your memory's speed will go the same speed no matter what OS you put on the computer.

that being said, go with 64-bit. 32-bit apps by and large work just fine. all future apps have a 64-bit version coming. and since you installed XP Pro, you'll have "XP Mode" built in that will enable any legacy programs to continue to function.

5. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

Go with 64. Most programs hopefully will come out with 64bit. :D

6. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

I'm going with 32 bit.

as far as I'm concerned 64 bit is actually slower at this moment because most programs are 32 bit at the moment and for the 64 bit OS to run all of these 32 bit programs it has to emulate the x86 architecture which makes the whole system and programs run slower.

the difference was seen in halo 2 in 32 vs 64 bit on my own machine.

for the most part they ran almost the same speed but whenever a lot was going at one time the game would slow down to around 2-4 frames per second, vs. the 32 bit OS which would maintain the 15-20 frames per second consistently

just my speculation,
    -Tyler

7. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

Warning: this post might have a lot of garbage...

From my understanding it's not emulated at all, these CPUs are made to work both ways. Maybe 32bit is "faster" because it's easier to manipulate numbers with 32 digits than numbers with 64 digits. But you're able to have insane amounts of memory so I guess ~3 frames less per second is excusable (in a near future).

For what it's worth, if you don't have more than 4GB of RAM and won't have for the next year or so, both versions will do the job with no noticeable difference.

Said that, I'm using the 64bit version and didn't have any problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had both the Windows 7 RC 32-bit and 64-bit on my 2710P, I think the 64-bit is definitely faster.

9. nima13195

nima13195 Pen Pal - Newbie

i am using win 7 64bit for about 5-6 mounth on tx2. i have no problem with program and driver compatibility.
    i just have some bluescreen after hibernation!