Help w/choosing a Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Veronica

Veronica Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I have been reading all of your reviews and really appreciate all of the info and education!
    I am a psychiatrist and want to have a "paperless office". I am looking to buy a tablet to use to take patient notes using a different Word Templates and to have patients be able to sign consent forms, etc. directly on the tablet screen. I will be keeping all of the patient charts on file on the computer (of course backing it up). Since I'll be using the tablet mode primarily when seeing patients I am looking for a tablet that is comfortable to write on for extended periods of time. I was looking at the Toshiba TecraM4 and Satellite R15-S822, HP Compaq tc 4200, Thinkpad Lenovo X41, and Fujitsu Lifebook 4010.
    Part of my problem when comparing the different models is that my last laptop I bought was in 1998 so I am really behind the times and was wondering what you recommend to help educate myself on the new technology and security for computers as well to keep my new computer safe.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Brian1848

Brian1848 Pen Pal - Newbie

verionica,

I just sent you a Private Message.

Brian

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brian, if you're responding to posts, please do so publicly, sending PMs takes away from the community we're trying to build.

Veronica, you're asking the right questions and are on the right track. As for the tablet, I suggest one of the lighter 12" models like the X41 and tc4200. The latter is very nice/dollar. The IBM runs much more expensive, but is built a little better and offers more support tools.

For security, just get a decent virus program, there are several free options, like AVG (www.grisoft.com) and a spyware tool if you're worried about that. Spysweeper is a good option.

4. Veronica

Veronica Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Brian!
    I had not even considered the slate models until it was suggested to me on a different website. What do you think of a Motion LE 1600 vs. Fujitsu 5000 vs. the convertable tablets I had posted previously (tc 4200, X41, Tecra M4)? From what I can tell from the Motion, the CD/DVD Reader is separate from the docking station plus you have to get a separate keyboard as well. Anything else I should be considering?

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The slates work well for people that don't need to use the keyboard often, because it's kind of a hassle to tote the extra stuff around with you. I haven't used the LE1600 yet, but Motion is pretty solid. The Fujitsu is really nice, but I keep waiting for them to refresh their tablet line, which I know has to be happening soon. The major disabvantage is that slates tend to get pretty pricey.