HELP. Thinkpad Yoga 370 touch the screen and it goes off.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Yao, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hello 2-in-1 windows 10 experts,

has anyone had a problem of when you touch the screen and the screen just goes blank and turns off?

is this a setting problem in windows 10?

is it a hardware issue?

thank you!

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Yao looks like a hardware issue to me - try booting Linux from USB to make sure; I personally use Kali for that despite its pentest nature. If the machine is under warranty, I'd invite the technician over. If it's not, well it's pretty easy to disassemble compared to other convertibles.

Yao likes this.
  3. Yao

thanks Starlight.

im afraid if its a hardware issue. that would suck. its a Yoga 370. What of hardward issue do you think it is?

i touch the screen and it just goes blank. i need to hit the on / off button to wake it up from sleep again.

4. Starlight5

Does it go to sleep, or turn off - or is it just LCD, and if you say play music it will continue after screen goes bye-bye? Could be many things, from bad motherboard to poor contact because LCD ribbon simply needs reseating. You should definitely check warranty status, serial number is located on lower cover; Thinkpad warranty is international.

Yao likes this.
  5. Yao

it just turns off and i need to hit the power button to turn it on again.

any experience on this? thanks starlight

6. Starlight5

@Yao I sent you hardware manual link in PM. You will need to partially disassemble it to diagnose this issue.

First of all go to BIOS and disable built-in battery, just in case. Then, take off lower cover (be extra careful when lifting it, small plastic hooks or whatever those things are called are easy to break - blue triangle pry tools would be good, or your nails if you don't have those - but definitely not a screwdriver or anything metal).

yao370-1.png

1. Carefully reseat both ribbons in the upper right corner. You need to lift them, then attach firmly.
    2. Extra carefully reseat battery cable. You need to pull it towards yourself, then reattach firmly.
    3. Reseat the ribbon on the left. You need to unlock it by lifting up black part of connector, then carefully pull the ribbon out, probably will need to lift it up slightly. Then return it to its rightful place.
    4. Attach power supply, power on, check if the problem is resolved; battery will activate itself automatically.

If the issue is not resolved - more disassembly, and it will go beyond what customer is supposed to do - so it would be just the right time to check serial number on Lenovo website for on-site warranty. Nothing too scary there, but reassembly of display module is somewhat unpleasant - I've had to do it like 50 times or so on my 260, due to WiGiG interference problems, so I know what I'm talking about - better leave it to guys who are paid for it if there's such an option.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    JoeS and Yao like this.
  7. Yao

a
    awesome! let me try this! thanks starlight.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Before disassembling the whole thing, have you rebooted in safe mode to make sure it's not a driver issue? The suggestion of booting Linux would answer that as well.

Even simpler, if you touch the screen while it's booting, does it turn off? I'd be kind of surprised, but who knows.

To boot to safe mode, hit the windows key, type boot, select 'advanced startup options', and select 'Restart now'. I think this will give you the option to boot in safe mode on startup. If things work fine in safe mode, it's not a connector/cable issue.

Starlight5 and Yao like this.
  9. Yao

thank you very much JoeS. I will try this first. i pray its a software issue rather than hardward problem. starlight is the king of hardware. so will follow his directions next.

Starlight5 and JoeS like this.