Help: Terrible battery drain Surface Pro 5/2017 LTE

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by lovelaptops, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I just bought a barely used (22 battery cycles) SP 2017 LTE (i5/8/GB/256GB) , got it all updated and it works like a charm - But...terrible battery drain! I mean like, 10% in 20 mins of very, very light usage. I've Googled it up and down and the problem is reported (since June), widespread and no solutions offered by MS or anyone else. The MS comments are restricted to "working on it!" I need to put this into use immediately and it won't serve its purpose with this kind of battery drain (btw, not even using LTE, nor is is hooked up).

Can anyone help or shed light? I'm in a bind. Seems to be a 1903 problem and doesn't just affect this model.

Thanks!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If memory serves correct, it happened post May update. Reddit had a fix of joining insiders to get some newly released firmware, and then downgrading afterwards.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'll look into that. Since the dozens of post-June problems reported on Google, how is it that this isn't a more major issue that tech press reports? We're talking 2-3 hrs max batt life with just 3 tabs open on a browser and NOTHING ELSE! It renders this an awful, useless product and it's been going on for 4 months at least. Reverting to 1809 doesn't help at all, nor does clean install!

EDIT: I stand corrected - there are articles citing it. This one, from mspoweruser.com, describes my result exactly.

https://mspoweruser.com/battery-iss...ith-new-surface-pro-5-and-6-tablets-affected/