Help Syncing Onenote Online

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by itskc2u, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itskc2u

itskc2u Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Myself and my business partner both use onenote to keep our drafts, ideas, and communications in order. We are desperate to find a way to keep our copies of onenote synched together so they automatically update when either of us makes changes to a page or tab.

We cannot be on a local network together and need a way to do this over the internet or on one of our servers.

Has anyone heard of any way to set this up, or could anyone point me to someone who might know something about the subject?

Thanks very much,
    Kacey

2. L8RICH

L8RICH Pen Pal - Newbie

You may be able to use Office Live Workspace. It is in Beta right now and can be found at officelive.com.

3. Telbat

Telbat Pen Pal - Newbie

You can use SharePoint: http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/km/sharepoint/archives/onenote-and-sharepoint-14368. If you're company is using Windows Server 2003, Windows SharePoint Services can be installed on top of that for free. Or you could look for SharePoint hosting on the internet.

I'm not sure about Office Live Workspaces since I haven't tried it. I know that the document part of Office Live Small Business is / was based on SharePoint which means it might be possible but I haven't actually tried that either.

Obviously, you can upload a notebook from OneNote to any file repository but the question is if changes are merged.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I use Groove, which comes with Office 2007 Ultimate. It doesn't lose anything, but occasionally makes duplicate files. It synchronizes over my home network and the internet. I know you can have multiple people work on a shared repository, but I haven't done this myself yet.

I doubt you'll be able to merge changes from within a single Onenote page, but as long as people don't try to change the same page simultaneously, it should be fine. Actually, Groove will try to update both files simultaneously, but it'll probably result in many duplicate files when Onenote gets confused about which page is newest.

5. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

How does Groove work on the internet to update you remotely? I started up Groove on my home pc and sent the email to my school account and saved the file to my thumb drive. When I used my school login and tried Groove there, it said it was not a valid Groove file. I tried the email link and the thumb drive. Also the attachment in the Groove email and my file I took with me were no where near the size of the Onenote files.

6. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

7. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

You actually have to open the Groove file. It's been a while since I've done it, but I think it basically authenticates your new computer to be shared with your other computers. Think of it like a key and map for your computer. It doesn't actually contain your Onenote files, in fact, it doesn't even know what type of files you'll be sharing. You pick where you want the shared copy to be saved on your new computer, then the files get sent over the internet on their own.

This isn't something you want to do on a school computer since the files are too big to synchronize, and it isn't especially quick over the internet.

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I did open the file - as Groove had told me to do when I started it and followed the steps it outlines ie: close Groove and open the .GRV file. When I double clicked the file, it opened Groove and said that it was not a valid Groove file.

As for the school pc, we have a large network with available storage. I actually have my notebooks already stored both on a share drive and my schools internet account. They have a huge bandwidth and have not limited us yet on file storage. The problem is always coping it over to my thumb drive to take home and then overwriting the files on my home pc. Its a real pain.

Thanks Robdam, I will give that a look over.

Robdam, don't think that will work because it requires an install of an application and I'm sure my school admins are not going to do that. Can't even get them to install inkseine for me.

9. Epicardium

Epicardium Pen Pal - Newbie

If I understand you correctly, you say you have access to a server. Your server should have a static IP (hopefully). If that's the case, just store the Onenote Files on that server. Then you simply open the Onenote file on each of your computers by typing the servername and folder info into the 'open' dialogue (for example, \\111.111.11.1\foldername\filename.one)
    A cache copy will be saved on both computers, and update to the server whenever you are connected. It's pretty sweet.

I've been using this setup for myself for several months, flawlessly. In my setup, I have my files stored on my work computer (server). I opened the files on my laptop and my home desktop (after connecting to a VPN to get through my work's firewall). When I work from home, from my laptop while travelling, or directly on the host computer, the changes are always up-to-date on all computers (assuming they have connected to the internet at least momentarily since the last changes have been made).

I strongly advise against using Groove, as it creates redundancy in syncing (Onenote has a much better built-in algorithm), and may create confusing duplicate files or get confused with simultaneous changes. Not a good thing when more than one person is making changes.

10. sypher9

sypher9 Pen Pal - Newbie

GBM has a feature on how to synchronize your OneNote Notebooks over the internet. It's a lot easier than setting up a server. And it's free. Basically, it extends your home network onto whichever computer you wish, through the internet using a program called Hamachi from www.logmein.com .

Check it out here : http://www.gottabemobile.com/GBMInkShowOneNoteSynchronization.aspx

click on View Inkshow : here is the direct video link: http://blip.tv/file/get/Gottabemobile-GBMInkShowOneNoteSynchronization117.wmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.