Help!!!! - Recovery Will Not Work

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by salsatigger, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salsatigger

salsatigger Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 140X and been having problems starting up the PC all morning and it would not start but goes into the Gateway Auto Startup Repair Screen.

Decided to do a full factory recovery using the recovery partition but I get an error: 0x200110020000100A with the message if this persists contact support: :confused:

I am loathe to do a full OS recovery as this is my next and only other option as I cannot find the Gateway recovery discs I earlier made:mad:
    In addition, my last system back up was incomplete and I only just found out!

Any advise on how to proceed will be most welcome.

Thanks

2. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this happen a couple of times (didn't try the recovery, though). I never discovered the problem, just told it to ignore and everything works just fine. After an update, I didn't have the problem again. Gateway's Auto Repair is very slow and didn't appear to really do anything. It is likely something not quite starting in order and gumming the system up.

3. salsatigger

jrorion5,
    Thank you for your response. Thinking about this I have had the problem before but not as bad as this, as the system restarted itself. Any ideas on how i can run the recovery from the DOS prompt?

4. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Restart your system and press F8, before windows attempts to start. This should bring you to the recovery console.

5. salsatigger

I have tried that and I get to the recovery console. The options there including Safe mode start and Last Know good configuration all return to Windows Start.

I appear to be stuck in a loop which keeps going back to the Windows Start up repair and none of the additional options here work. Factory restore does not work, Use last restore point is not working. The only option seems to be Reinstall of OS which I would like to do as a last resort.

This is frustrating!

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Use the Vista Disk to boot from and when the install options come up there will be an option to repair a current install. Try that and see if it works.

Also, I have never tried the disks I made for recovery but do those boot to a repair menu that lets you recover from the Gateway partition? If so, try that next.

Somehow you got some corrupted files and hopefully it is not a HD failure. There is a program called Spinrite that can repair corrupted disks, but its expensive at around $80.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. salsatigger

ScubaX,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried that but the option to repair the current install does not work. Brings me back to the same place "System Recovery Options"

Been a really long and frustrating day!

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

You may want to call GW as getting that error may indicate your HD is or is going bad. You should should have been able to get the factory recovery going. Since it is giving you errors at the same time your Vista install went south, that means HD problems to me.

The Spinrite program I told you about is the only tool I know about that could fix this. But at $80, you could almost get a new drive.

9. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure that if you do like Scuba said... Boot to the disk (make sure you have the DVD drive selected as the first option under boot configuration in the BIOS) ... It should ask you to press any key to boot to the disk... From the Disk menu select new OS install... Setup will search for any existing installations of Vista and then ask you if you want to repair... (Or the options should be pretty much on that same track...)

Is it failing past this point? It shouldn't at all... At this point its not running from the HD its running from the DVD... Setup should be able to repair it for you... If you can't get past this though and Setup is still failing AND you have data on the drive you don't want lost, I would recommend pulling the HD and putting it in an external USB enclosure... This will give you the option to take your HD and download at least some of your files and not lose everything... After this, reinstall the HD and do a clean install...

Like Scuba said... This might be indicative of a failing HD, but that's not always the case. You should know though... If you send it back to GW for them to fix your data is pretty much gonna be lost no matter what. They'll most likely do a clean install and call it fixed or if that fails they'll put in a new HD... Chances of them fixing the drive and restoring your data are next to zero so... I'd be safe and pull the drive if the above mentioned procedure doesn't work.

-Spart

10. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are comfortable using Linux (by which I mean if you are comfortable relying on forums for a walkthrough) and have access to another internet-connected computer, you can make a live CD from a recent Linux distro and boot from that. From there you can run disk scanning utilities to check the integrity of the disk, and you could also probably backup your internal harddrive to a USB connected drive without having to remove your internal drive (may not work if the distro doesn't have the drivers for your external drive by default because installing a driver to a live CD is a bit difficult).

Of course, if you want to try this, this community would be more than willing to help you through it, and I would suggest checking out some Linux forums as well. I suggest the latest desktop release of Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) if you try this, simply because the general concensus seems to be tha Ubuntu is one of the easiest distros to just pick up and use.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.