Help Please - Still can't update to 2004 September 6, 2020

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lovelaptops, Sep 6, 2020.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

My wife is getting ready to start full time online teaching on Tuesday and her two main devices - an LG Gram (8th gen i7/20GB/1TB), and an Asus (backup - 6th gen, i7/16GB/1TB) - are still not able to update to 2004. What's worse, one of them (the LG) is stuck on 1903 and has never been able to update to 1909. I'm only writing because my online research has found very sparse news for the last 1 month+ on devices remaining unable to update to 2004 with the message in Windows Update: "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on it's way...once ready...available on this page." As my wife's teaching platform is MS Teams, it is especially important that the OS is up to date, as they are trying to make Teams viable for education in real time :confused::mad: and so many things do not work well. I'm asking our MS gurus (and that includes you, @desertlap :)) for their latest knowledge of the 2004 device update situation and whether, if the OS is one or two versions old, it will not be in sync with latest MS Teams features. Finally, can anyone tell me if they know how to force an update from 1903 to 1909 on a device (Asus UX360, i7/16GB/1TB) that never got that update?

Last point - not Windows related - Am I making a mistake not upgrading her devices to 10th gen (vs. 8th and 6th for backup) machines? The LG in particular is really a sweet machine with user-upgradeable ram and SSD and a massive battery, and it has performed flawlessly, including critical wifi (the LG has an 8265 card but it's faster (400 mb up/down) than my x360 with X201. I've been tugged all summer with the thought that I should equip her with the likes of a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, but we all know how infamous TPs are in recent years for hardware problems and poor support and the only problem I have with these devices is the inability to update to 2004. Thinking about how strong the little SG2 has performed for folks and how much over-specd even the 6th gen Asus is vs that.

I'm beyond grateful that I have you all to reach out to. Crunch time.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If you don't want to wait, and are willing to take the risk, you can use the upgrade assistant, see the second bullet point here. It leads to the UAssistant download page here. It has its own rollback option if things go wrong, but personally I always create a Restore point beforehand anyway. Not sure if those even work anymore to be honest! :D Before taking the plunge maybe hunt around on google for people with exactly your machine and see if anyone has major issues with 2004 just to be safe.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

You can try the Upgrade Assistance as Joe suggests, typically the block is caused by a highly customized driver, security software and occasionally something plugged into the machine.

I bought my wife a 10 Gen LG Gram 17" and she loves it....

lovelaptops and Marty like this.
  4. lovelaptops

Thanks very much guys. Jeff, the question I have is, is being stuck on 1903 possibly causing problems with Teams? Also, based on what @JoeS said, is it sufficiently protective to create a restore point before using Update Assistant and/or sufficiently protective to use Windows' roll back feature, or could forcing the upgrade cause problems with the device that will require a fresh install, etc? Thanks again.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@lovelaptops (Jeff) : I agree with @JoeS ' advice. In the recent past, I've used the Windows 10 download page (second hotlink) to directly install 2004. So far, I haven't had any problems despite Windows refusal to install 2004.

One comment on @desertlap 's observation. I'm pretty sure I've read on the Microsoft forums that you do not need to load the biannual updates sequentially; in other words, if you are on 1903, you can load 2004 directly without loading 1909. Of course, create a restore point first!

Good luck...

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

Thank you Steve!

7. lovelaptops

anyone with thoughts about my hardware?

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@lovelaptops

Jeff: sorry to be AWOL today - remodeling cleanup at the house (every time we have work here the cleanup afterwards is worse than the repairs.

I really don't have much to add to the troubleshooting, other than forcing it as @JoeS and @Steve S suggested. As for the hardware front, that LG Gram should have a lot of life left in it. Besides, even my 10th gen x360 (10th Gen) took forever to get 2004.

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Make some sort of backup prior, I store everything on my OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Teams does use some of the new features of 1909, haven't seen anything specific to 2004 yet, but there are major updates rolling out this month and next...