Help - PC is stuck on 1903 and Windows will only update to 2004, not 1909 !

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lovelaptops, Jun 6, 2020.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I've now spent hours on this and am so frustrated. Was doing maintenance on my wife's laptop - LG Gram 13, 8th gen cpu. Was shocked to find it was still on 1903. Rather than relive my torments trying to cure this, and get her on 1909 - NOT 2004! - can someone possibly tell me a really easy way, that doesn't involve WU (unless there is a secret code that bald guys can't see) and, hopefully w/o going through a clean install - which I'm afraid will put 2004 on anyway! Despite all the warnings, Windows wants to jump over 1909 and install 2004.

Thank you my friends!

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

3. lovelaptops

Thanks, but I can't find a means or a link there or following all logical paths. Are we really in a no-man's land, where if you somehow got stuck on 1903, you have no choice but to go backwards, or to risk 2004, or stay put until 2004 is safe? I mean, WU won't even allow the update to 2004, though you can easily do so from skaads of sources.

One more question: how is it that this computer never self-updated to 1909? I can swear that I've run WU on it for her several times between Nov 2019 and April. Thanks. I may sound like I'm computer illiterate, but check the post count :confused:

4. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

What is wrong with 1903. My main desktop is offering 1909 but I can't be bothered. The number of computers I have, I usually update them all by USB key.

Terry

5. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked a couple of laptops running 1903 and all are offering 1909 as the update. I didn't try to see if that is what is downloaded. But it is strange you are not being offered that if you are on 1903.

Terry

6. lovelaptops

Thanks for checking. Yes, it is strange, and that's why it's bothering me. I did find that 1909 failed to install in January, and for several months since it just kept updating 1903. Windows is "fully up to date" with the May 1903 update, completed today. I've had occasional failures to install (other machines, other versions) and just re-booting and re-updating gets it done. Did a registry cleaner - lots of issues to fix, per usual (don't run those unless there's a problem) - but still won't update.

You're right, there's nothing in 1909 that matters. Machine is running ok, but not as responsive as I remember it. Thanks for trying to help. It's just unnerving.

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You have to register for Windows Insider and then you can download the ISOs.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

Thank you.