Help Needed To Find A Particular Type Of Publishing Service

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Steve S, May 24, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

My wife has written a book that happens to be formatted in landscape, rather than portrait. In addition, it would work best with a spiral binding because it is an educational workbook. Unfortunately, now that the book is ready to publish, she has discovered that none of the publishing services that she has talked to want to print in landscape or use spiral binding. They only want to print in portrait and use Perfect binding (which means that it's hard to keep the book open to a particular page unless you're holding it open).

She'd like to use a publishing service that can help her get to retailers like Amazon, so local services like Minuteman who, ironically, will actually print in landscape and spiral bind, won't do. Cost is also an issue because the book is aimed at students of modest means (so to an extent, the lower the price the better).

Can anyone recommend a service that they've used, or one that they know of?

TIA...

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What sort of quantity are you considering?

Will you be doing more books than the one?

One option here is to purchase an ISBN (or more than one don't use a service --- there are issues with that) and then to purchase an Amazon professional merchant account for a month --- that would let you create an Amazon listing for the book, print it locally, and you could either do fulfillment yourself, or place the books in an Amazon warehouse for Amazon to fulfill.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@WillAdams : Thanks for the response. Quality can just be average. Quantity is anyone's guess, but she hopes that the book fills a need and sells well.

I'll forward your other comments to her. I think she's mentioned Amazon's merchant accounts before, so I think she knows something about them, but this is a first attempt, so both of us are guarded about getting into an arrangement that doesn't work for her...