Help me pick a slate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photon

photon Pen Pal - Newbie

Budget is not terribly important if I can find the perfect device.
    I'll list, in order, the most important features.

1. Must be a slate. I have a laptop with a keyboard. I don't want another one.

2. Must be quiet. I am shopping because the fan in my laptop is driving my wife crazy. Fanless or very quiet is a requirement.

3. Must run very cool. This will be in my lap for most of its life. It must be possible to touch my skin for extended periods of time.

4. Rugged. Maybe I mean "good build quality." I want a glass screen that will not scratch. I don't want to be buying screen protectors. I want to use this thing for 3-5 years. I want longevity normally associated with IBM thinkpad.

5. Intel 915 chipset graphics or better. I won't be playing doom, but I don't want to be stuck with 855 graphics. I will play some card games and watch divx video.

6. 4 hour battery life or better.

7. Does any slate allow you to control the mouse with the scroll buttons? It would be great not to have to use the pen when all you want to do is point an click (e.g. websurfing, simple games).

Does this exist or am I just too darn picky?

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think any tablet fits your #4 criteria, except maybe that rugged tablet used in construction sites and the such. But even that one is not quiet and lacks in the other criteria

3. BenHur41

BenHur41 Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps you might want to wait until later in the year - ASUS is releasing a new slate model. Maybe there will be other new units. I considered ALL the available slates - Fujitsu, Motion, Electroraya, Sahara, and HP- however budget was a problem for me, so that's why I bought the TC1100. If money were no object I probably would go with Motion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably Electrovaya Scribbler SC3100 for you - they suppose to have the best battery around. May want to look at the Motion LE1600. Er...I don't think screen will scratch easily with just using the digitizer.

5. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a fujitsu slate and I absolutely love it. the only problem I have with it is that it does get hot on the back side. it cools down fast when in hibernate. it is quiet though and I get a great battery life out of the standard battery 4.5 hours running the whole time....however if I forget to shut it down...it goes into hibernate and good grief it lasts for ever...all night and still will boot back up with little power drain. I try not to do that too often :D But with the newer Fujitsu slate and the ddr2 ram that is supposed to run cooler...I bet it runs much cooler than my older model. the one thing that made me choose the fujitsu was that they position the battery at the bottem of the tablet. Give you room for your wrist when you write.....no hand hanging of the edge is something I greatly appreciate! I always hated that with traditional paper notebooks. made my handwriting even sloppier than it already is!

Anything glass is much more likely to scratch....I just think of my glasses and have a protective plastic layer on them.

6. poetdante

I would recomend the motion line to be the best choice for tablets

7. photon

photon Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe I should expand on the durability issue and the glass screen. Maybe it is just my ignorace at work here.

The situation I am trying to avoid is what I see on the credit card systems in the grocery store. Did you ever notice how scratched up the signature area is on those devices? This area gets very cloudy from writing in this area constantly. This would be totally unacceptable if this happened in the middle of the screen on a tablet.

A similar situation happened on Palm Pilots. Remember how scratched up the graffiti area became on those screens?

So, my naive assumption is that glass will wear much better in areas that see high levels of pen activity. Is this incorrect? Do you guys see wear on the windows start button or any other area that you touch with the pen a lot? I am just assuming this will be a problem, but maybe I am just over-reacting.

8. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Those grocery store touch screens for signature are sometimes written on with regular pens accidently (More often than not). If you're anal about the screen wear, you better get a screen protector, which is the only other option. The screen will wear over time due to the use of the stylus or digitizer. Dirt and dusts that are picked up by the digitizer or stylus will scratch the screen when you write with it.

9. poetdante

I agree, most tablets are designed to not have that happen. these are tablets, not palm pilots. but in case, a thin screen protector from bstrong wont even be noticble and will in fact improve the writing feel on the screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.