Help me get my Dell Venue 8 Pro ready for Windows 10!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by AEW, Jul 12, 2015.

1. AEW

AEW Pen Pal - Newbie

Help me get my Dell Venue 8 Pro ready for Windows 10!
    I've not been (and won't be) part of the insiders program. I do want to move to Windows 10 soon after launch. I realize I could just back up the system, then hit the upgrade button. But, I don't know the best way to prepare.
    • Will I have to wait for Dell to publish drivers or a Bios?
    • Should I go to a clean install of 8.1?
    • Should I have significantly more memory free than suggested?
    • Is a clean install necessary after the upgrade?
    • What are the best practices to an upgrade to Windows 10?
    What advise will you give?
    (p.s. I know some of you will want to say - Don't upgrade! But I will be upgrading)

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

Just do it. We are so close to release date, IMO it is stable enough to use as a daily OS. I did a complete backup of my Surface Pro 3 first just in case I wasn't happy with it.

Didn't do a clean install, be warned if you have enough space on your device it will keep your old Windows Install on the disk unless you delete it

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. You don't need to wait for driver or Bios, everything is there already.
    2. Clean Install will be the most painless version
    3. I installed the Insider preview on a clean install and had 10GB free after that ( 10030 ).
    Now with 10166 and a Clean ( drive properties Clean/System ) I have around 12GB free. As you now can install and Move Apps to the SD-Card it's even easier now.
    4. no
    5. As it is not available now, how can we answer?

If you are not a IT Guy/Girl wait 2 Days after the availability , sh.. will hit the fan by then if something did go wrong.

4. rüdiger

rüdiger Scribbler - Standard Member

I strongly advice not to upgrade to Windows 10 when you use a tablet, and wait some more months. It's a step back into the wrong direction for tablet users. There is no touch Edge (yet, not clear if any is coming), sharing is terrible compared to Windows 8.1, start bar always there even in tablet mode, you have to do 3-4 swipes to switch into real full screen which is annoying. But the most important part:

Battery drain is 2-3 times worse (yet). And CPU throttling doesnt work properly (yet). Ive reported this 6-8 months ago several times, still not fixed. There seems to be a bug with Intel PowerStepping or Turbo mode. Google for it and youll find other people had reported this too before, and MS didnt care about fixing it.

Tried 10240 yesterday, which is RTM build so what is coming on the 29th of July, clean install on my Venue 8 Pro => power drain in connected standby about 1mW/h, which is really bad. Normal is about 0.33mW/h which I have under Windows 8.1

Plus in a 20 minute usage I discovered abour 15 bugs, several of them I also reported before, didnt get fixed. Some really annoying bugs like font is washed out in a lot of menus and windows/apps. Flickering issues when switching apps, and a lot of more. This is mostly because there is no official driver by Intel yet for Windows 10 for its BayTrail CPU/GPU, and it's not said yet if any is coming.

I guess you can switch to Windows 10 in about 3-6 months maybe, when the real "beta" is over.

5. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you guys know if Dell has released or will release windows 10 drivers for the Venue 8 pro? This may help with some of the bugs I would think.

6. rüdiger

Wouldnt I have used them then? No, and no I dont think so. Only hope are generic updates or Windows drivers covering some of the hardware.

It's not that Windows 10 isnt usable or like I had bluescreens or so, but when you use a tablet your ultimate most wanted option is battery life, and performance, right. And from my testings with the 10240 build, battery life isnt near as good as it is in Windows 8.1. I gave data samples in that post.

Yes, most bugs Ive talked about are mostly driver issues, for example the Intel thermal policy drivers or the chipset one, and the Intel graphics drivers. I guess there will be soon an Intel graphics update, however it's open if it will fix the font and flickering issues. The thing Im worried about is the battery life issues and CPU throttling bug. This could be fixed soon or in a year...

And right after that comes the usability, right. And in my opinion, it's a step back into the wrong direction. I dont know why MS can be that stupid or doesnt give the user options to choose how things should behave... A few things are better in Windows 10 for a tablet user, for example the onscreen keyboard got some nice updates, especially the handwrite one (if you use the Dell pen), it's a awesome and has really good word prediction/recognition. Also the Edge browser is awesome, and I hope it will get addon support in the future. However it has no touche support yet, and here again is the issue I talked about before. Another nice new feature is the app switching, but in the end, youre going better with Windows 8.1 at the moment. Well see what comes along, MS already told Windows will be a "service" from now on, as an ongoing development. Insider program also will start again after release, taking in wishes and bug reports.

Also ram usage is higher in a clean Windows 10 start compared to a clean Windows 8.1. And I am having the 2GB ram Device, not the 1GB.

After clean build Windows 10 takes already about 66% of ram, Windows 8.1 just 42%.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  7. FZelle

What are you doing wrong that you have less battery Life?
    I have W10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 since 10130, did every update and have non of your problems.

You write it is a step in the wrong direction and then you list everything that is better now, what is not?
    And for this Ram usage debate, only used ram is good ram.

8. rüdiger

My reaction after reading your post:

I wont try to make it (even more) understandable to you, go google how to use powercfg creating a batteryreport and what the power steps of a Z3740D are. Oh and, consider buying yourself a Mac.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. FZelle

Believe me, you don't have to make anything understandable, I do sw development for various systems ( incl. firmware ) for more than 25 years.
    I just question your methods.
    Someone who believes in benchmarks instead of real life is not always right.
    My Dv8P has no shorter runtime in real life, then the W8.1 version.
    And for your other complaints, I don't care for them, as I use that Tablet as a Tablet and see the optional Desktop mode as
    something that can be used in emergencies.

10. rüdiger

*quadruple face palm*