Help me decide Type Cover or Brydge?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Nov 25, 2019.

?

Help me decide which keyboard to get

1. Brydge 12.3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alcantara Type Cover

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i've had 3 type covers. All non Alcantara. 1 originally purchased with my Surface Pro 4, another I replaced it with last year when some of the keys stop functioning and a 3rd I inherited from my father's Surface Pro 3.

2 of them have had the magnetic strip detach - fixable

ALL of them have become peeling tattered messes, that stain too easily. I don't know if this is a climate thing, but i've seen other users here with similarly looking tattered Type Covers.

I genuinely wish the Type Cover had a keyboard like the HP Elite x2. Metal. Sturdy. Durable.

so help me decide.

Alcantara Type Cover OR Brydge 12.3? and why?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’d stick with the type cover. I never used the brydge keyboard before....but I kind of dislike how it basically doubles the thickness of the Surface Pro. I’ve had a Pro 3 type cover, a Pro 4 cover (used with my Pro 3) and I’ve had a Pro 5 and it’s bundled type cover for about a year and a half now.....it’s still in good condition and isn’t that dirty. The 3 and 4 covers were kind of buggy past the two year mark though.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My choice would be type cover (assuming they made a brydge for the Go). When docked, I have the benefit of a full sized keyboard and when traveling, I have the lightest option. Plus, I have never liked Bluetooth KBs. They are just not as responsive as a connected device.

4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I have had the Brydge keyboard for awhile now, originally for my SP3, but it had been sitting in my desk gathering dust since that machine died. I just picked up again about a month ago to use with SP5 that I have been primary using for my travel device and my couch computer while on holiday (typing on it now). My main work machine is a Surface Book, but like the smaller SP5 when not at my desk or going to a meeting. It definitely makes it a lot heavier, almost as heavy as the surface device itself, but it makes it more like an actual laptop (and way more lapable, and great balance), which I like. It looks sharp as well matching the color of the Surface Pro, really a high quality build. The keyboard quickly connects, I haven't had it die on me yet, I like the keys and how responsive they are, typing on it is a pleasure. I charge it every couple of days. My biggest gripe is the touchpad. It is horrible to do a right click or left click. The cursor will move when trying to select something. I have seen these pretty cheap on ebay.

Just my two cents.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'd vote Type Cover as well - the Brydge is a better laptop replacement but it feels (in hand and weight) like doubling the Surface Pro.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Guys, thank you for taking the time to humor me. It is much appreciated!

My biggest concerns are damaging the screen and that i've heard the trackpad is the pits. The weight is less of an issue, I think.

The trackpad sounds, like it would drive me bonkers.

I have never been a fan of this fabric covered keyboard madness from MS tbh.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

A late comment, but I agree with the comments made about the Brydge's weight. I was looking for a keyboard for a recently purchased iPad Pro and when I picked up the Brydge, I was shocked at how heavy it was. By comparison, the weight of the iPP seemed to be almost nothing!

Definitely recommend the Type Cover instead!