help me chose the tablet I really wanted

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by poetdante, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teardrop

teardrop Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive decided to throw in the towel with my Tecra m7. I don’t even use it in tablet mode anymore. What I wanted was something for taking notes, doing school work and surfing the web. ether outside or in a coffee shop or lying on the couch infront of the TV. Ive looked around a bit.. the Motion LS800 looks promising or maybe the modbook?? (cant find size specs) but maybe I can save few bucks and get something a little less state of the art. The thinner and lighter the better. Any ideas?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? under $2000

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? slate

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? Canada

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? no

6. How many hours battery life do you require? long life in a must. 4+

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? school, surfing the web…. Noting too crazy
    8. Do you have an OS preference? Not Visto if I can help it

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? for school work mostly. MS Office maybe Photoshop...

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list. no

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? dosn't matter

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    whatever looks best

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    outdoor

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active. but being able to use my fingers would be nice.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom??

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    2gig of ram probably

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? no, a docking station with a dvd drive would be nice

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? no

2. Righi

Righi Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you really want a slate? I would go with a convertible... there are very light ones such as the Fujitsu T2010, or the HP2710p, and you still get the funcionality of a notebook... you could check the lenovo X61t too, these all would give you everything you required, plus the notebook mode, and some of them might even get you extra performance for your needs.. I'd never trade a convertible for a slate... but thats my opnion... best luck on you choosing

3. teardrop

you might be right. there's Probably a good reason I use my m7 in notebook mode So much (other then the weight thing) what's the smallest, lightest Convertible out there?

4. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fujitsu P1620. 8.9" screen, close to full sized keyboard and it's a charm to use. Keep in mind it uses Micro DIMM memory, which is hard to find aftermarket so you may want to spec the RAM up a little from the base configuration.

Next up would probably be the Fujitsu T2010, which is within your budget, has a great screen and fantastic battery life, and is light.

The Dell Latitude XT has a high output screen for outdoor use, but the base price starts at 2500 dollars so I scratch that option.

5. teardrop

my biggest concern is with comfort. without being able to Physically hold any of them its impossible to tell
    I passed over the p1610 at first because of the lack of the active digitizer
    No hover and no pressure sensitivity !!! but after Seeing it in action on youtube I can See how i might like the ability to use my finger when in laptop mode and such
    Is the 1620 an active digitizer? Even so i might just get the 1610 caz there cheep on ebay right how

6. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the Gateway C120 has both active and passive digitizers. It's also dirt cheap from the official gateway ebay store (user: gateway_auctions), has an integrated optical drive and with the extended battery will get you over 6 hours of uptime with regular use...

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

See, I prefer a slate if it comes down to the 12.1 screen. With less screan realestate it becomes combersome to use in tablet mode due to the thickness to screen size ratio. I've tried a few HPs from engineering buddies and it's horrible compared to my R15. But now that that's broke I'm trying to get a slate for easier writing. Remember, you can always get a wireless foldable keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.