Help! Hp Zbook x2 g4 not detecting its own wacom device

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Pencilwing, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Pencilwing

Pencilwing Pen Pal - Newbie

Im kinda freaking out, I have a Zbook x2 g4 and it's not detecting the pen, or any sort of wacom device for that matter.

Tried installing and uninstalling hp create driver a bunch of times and nothing, the wacom OEM device appeared w a yellow triangle and I uninstalled the driver thinking I could find it online but I can't. I'm guessing the OEM device is plug and play and has its own drivers but the problem is a faulty connection or something.

I opened up the tablet to see if the bus connections were loose but they weren't, I still unplugged and plugged again for good measure. Still no detection.

I saw this same question asked in the hp support forums but there was no answer

Please help I have a ton of freelance deadlines and this sucks ass

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Im kinda freaking out, I have a Zbook x2 g4 and it's not detecting the pen, or any sort of wacom device for that matter...>>

@Pencilwing : Before you take any more radical steps, I suggest that you try validating your OS / driver image:

Try running the HP Image Assistant which will check your X2 Windows and driver loads point by point and correct any discrepancies. See this comment by an HP service rep:

"We do normally recommend running HP Image Assistant with Commercial systems and Workstations. Here’s a link to the most recent version:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

If that still doesn’t solve that strange behavior, please give our Workstations team a call and they can help out. They can be reached at: 1-800-334-5144, and [say] 'Z-Series Running Windows' [at the voice prompt]..."

Be sure to read the user guide before you run Image Assistant...

3. Steve S

@Pencilwing : A couple of other thoughts that might or might not be helpful:
    • Check to ensure that your X2 does not have any pending updates / is fully updated. Pending updates can sometimes create operational issues. Once the updates are completed, normal operation is restored.
    • Try a shut down and cold (sometimes called "hard") start. This sometimes restores functionality. ( https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-startup-and-shutdown-secrets/ )

4. Vtv

Vtv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello friends
    I have a strange problem
    I downloaded and installed the original hp windows for zbook x2 with recovery software
    I installed all the drivers in Flash Recovery USB (with Cloud Recovery Client ), I also installed all the drivers from the hp site
    And I installed the HPIA (hp image assistant ) software and checked the drivers point by point and all the files were updated and installed.
    I also updated the BIOS to 1.37
    I installed the latest Wacom software (WacomTablet_6.3.41-1)
    I even installed the driver magican and ... to check driver
    I also turned off Windows in the fast start section, but my pen does not work after installing the original Windows
    I also tried all the above works by installing non-original Windows on Zbook, but my pen did not work if it worked easily before replacing Windows.

Attached Files:

5. Steve S

<<...my pen did not work if it worked easily before replacing Windows...>>

@Vtv : Speaking for myself, I really have no good answer for these instances of pen digitizer failure. I've heard about them (and experienced them myself) for years, not just with Wacom pens, and not just with HP. If there's some sort of general fix out there, I'm not aware of it, and my experience goes back decades.

Turning to you specifically, I don't know why you decided to replace your Windows load, but it appears that you've attempted to do everything right, except possibly for the step where you installed the current Wacom software (6.3.41-1). That software may not have been completely compatible with the X2.

Your complaint seems to be that, at the end of all these steps, the pen does not work? If so, did you test the pen in between each step to see if it was working? If not, I would re-run the HP Image Assistant and then check the pen. If it works, I would stop and make no more modifications. If it doesn't, the only advice that I can give is to contact the HP Workstations Team as mentioned above in Post #2. In my experience, they are very good at providing help.

Good luck...

Vtv likes this.
  6. Vtv

Vtv Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked at all stages and it did not work
    I installed all the versions of Wacom , both the versions that were in the company's installation file and the versions that were on the Pen site
    The reason for replacing Windows was that I made bad changes to the system and Windows crashed and could not boot. I had to replace Windows.

How can I contact the HP support team ??? im in iran

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  7. Steve S

<<...How can I contact the HP support team ??? im in iran...>>

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with that. I suggest that you try to contact a European or Asian HP office and ask for help.

Good luck...