Help - GD Dark Mode!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lovelaptops, Jul 30, 2021.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So first, I miss you all. I seem to have skipped a beat during the pandemic and have been an occasional "lurker," but I hope that will change as I am doing better physically and have more energy. Nonetheless, I have a problem I can't resolve that seems so rudimentary but it's driving me crazy and the solution eludes me. Would you humor an aging TPCR alum?

3 days ago my on Windows 10 2H20 (not following an update,) on my HP Spectre x360 11th gen, my browser windows (not the tabs) suddenly changed from light theme to dark, but only on the browsers - both Edge and Chrome - Windows and all apps remain as they always were. I'm really not so addled (!) that I can't Google the freaking issue, check every setting on W10 and in each browser (sure sounds like a Chromium thing, both did it in unison.) Yet, with everything now set to Light or the color white, a dozen toggles between light and dark - in order to do everything imaginable to get rid of the dark background where it is not wanted - I can't make the dark background go away in all Edge and Chrome browser windows. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Thank you so much!

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

He lives! The forums just aren't the same without your voluble posts to ingest every so often... :)

My first thought is "why would you ever not want to use dark mode?" :p

But to get more serious, I'm sure you've done the obvious things like checking for any Dark Mode extensions and disabling the 'chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark' setting (under edge://flags for Edge)?

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Ah Marty, your kind words warm my heart:hi:.

So no, I hadn't disabled those flags - I swear, none of the top couple dozen Google results mentioned the flags - which I set long ago, first in Chrome and transferred to "new Edge" when I sucked my Chrome settings into it - so you did indeed solve my problem; thank you! I sill have no idea why my Chromium browsers suddenly went dark 3 days ago when they were light since I changed my Windows settings months ago.

Why did I go from dark dark to light? Silly reason, but the Gmail browser app obscured many black icons for navigation. I should have just used Outlook to manage my Gmail accts but, well, old habits die hard.

Still, I don't get why these settings change their operation randomly and suddenly for no apparent reason. Windows overrode the flags until they didn't until they didn't. Or I have just lost it :(.

nnthemperor likes this.