1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Help finding a tablet for someone who has never even touched one before? :'D

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by DandelionCupcakes, Nov 19, 2012.

1. DandelionCupcakes

DandelionCupcakes Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Well I'd like to go as inexpensive as possible without compromising the features that I really feel like I want/need. I don't want to spend over 350 :/ Unless I absolutely have to.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Sure. As long as I could speak to someone who has used a similar refurbished or used product without issues :].

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I don't think I could find a notebook convertible type in the price range I want. I'd much rather just get a basic tablet that does what I need it to as opposed to adding more to it and perhaps compromising quality.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Medium, 7-10. Similar answer to #3, bigger would be fine but not if it's too expensive or the quality of the product is somehow compromised.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    US.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope. I have an iPhone that I love but because price is a big factor right now....I'm not going to be even remotely picky.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    More the better? :p

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Email. Some doodling. Lots of note taking. I write a lot and I prefer to use a pen, but I have a terrible time losing pieces of paper...so I think a tablet would be great for that. Some games/entertainment but that's not my biggest focus I'd like to be able to play some games, though.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I pretty much like everything. :p

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft office.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Just things like Draw Something...not anything too graphic-crazy. :p

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nope. No home theater system here. :p

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No? D:

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    A little bit but not too bad. I live in Seattle, so sun isn't my biggest concern lol.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes, a pen is important because doodling (nothing intense, I really mean pretty basic doodles here) and writing/note taking are very important. I'm not sure which I prefer. :/

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I don't know. I've never really run out of space on anything before so that's not something I'd be terribly concerned about.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full size USB would be nice, but that's about it. It's also not completely necessary though if there's a product that matches my needs otherwise.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Like I said, price is a big factor. I'm buying this as a present for myself...but I don't want to buy something that has terrible quality or that will just up and mess up right after I get it.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?