Help Deciding Between Processors? +Screen

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by ginakra, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I've been out of the computing hardware world for a very long time, and am considering a tm2. I'm totally out of touch with the newer mobile processors. Can anyone help?

Is the su9600 really worth the xtra $275 over the su7300? I thought I'd go ahead and get the added graphics anyway since it's in my budget but can't decide on the processor. I will be using for everyday web/mail, plus running dragon naturally speaking (or ms speech recognition) with all apps and controlling the pc (as I have arm/hand issues the speech/touch/pen give me alot of input/contol choices), watching internet tv/movies, itunes, burning cds, husband might do some gaming if laptop permits it. I will do light photoshop work, editing photos and light drawing/graphics as hobbies.

What examples can you give where the more expensive processor would be worth it?

Also, I have a tx25xx and I HATE the screen. I honestly should have returned it. I barely use it. Is the tm2 screen as nice as normal laptop screens? Does it look like a normal screen or is it even the slightest bit grainy or dull?

Thanks for the help!

2. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't like my tx2500z's screen when I got it, comapred to my great 700m, but it's my first tablet and other tablets cost much more. After a while, I got used to it and didn't think that bad. I use it at home with my 24" as main monitor anyway.

I ordered the tm2 and pick the su9600, the main reason is I had to go over $1500 to use the $300 coupon, so pretty much the addtional cost was offset by the coupon :)
    And I use my computer for some heavier picture editing and sometimes video conversion.
    One more reason is processor can't be, or is not easy, upgraded later.

However, for your purpose, the su7300 properly is adequate enough.

I picked only 160GB and 3GB memory to keep the price just over $1500, as those can be easily upgraded yourself and cheaper to buy from elsewhere. I'm planning to replace it either with a SSD or a 500GB.

3. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure the SU7300 and SU9600 are almost identical, except for those 300 extra MHz.

I ordered mine with the SU7300, they have the exact same features and cache size, and I've overclocked my netbook before, and the extra 200 MHz from that did absolutely nothing, so I'm doubtful the upgrade from the 7300 to 9600 would be worth it. I can't seem to find any benchmarks on the 9600, but you can look at the specs from Intel's site here:
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37264
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42791

Graphics however, for me would make a huge difference, since I'm very interested in doing 3D work and would also like to do some gaming. If you're not going to be doing any 3D in the future, the Intel graphics should probably be fine, but at $75, it seems like a pretty good value upgrade.

4. Pütz

Pütz Pen Pal - Newbie

5. mediajunkie

mediajunkie Pen Pal - Newbie

take the 250$ and order a Intel-SSD... this would bring you a much more increase of speed compared to a CPU-Upgrade

6. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

How large of SSD you can buy for $250?
    For most people, it's not practical yet.

7. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

While mediajunkie has a point, the other point is that the SU7300 is likely not user serviceable in the future. That $40 160GB drive in there is extremely easy to replace in the future. Intel just announced that they expect drive pricing to drop to 1/3 the current prices while increasing in speed by the end of the year.

With the current $200+$300 HP coupon The SU9400 and ATI graphics basically comes for free so it's silly *not* to get it if you are in the US.

8. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree, while the coupon is still get, get the SU9600. This gives you a 1500 dollar machine for 1000 bucks. Pretty much a no brainer there.

9. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the opinion of staying with SU7300 and upgrading to the ATI graphics.

Keep in mind that you can always do all non-interactive tasks (like Photoshop rendering) with a slower processor but longer run time when compared to a faster processor. But there are certain interactive tasks that only a faster video processor will allow you to do (like gaming); a faster CPU will not help much.

Also, a faster processor will run at a higher clock, and more importantly, a higher voltage in order to sustain the higher clock. A higher operating voltage translates into shorter battery life.

Finally, if you need to reach the $1500 mark you can always upgrade to/load up on features that you can use, like extra battery, more RAM and higher capcacity drive.

10. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

papi, not sure I understand the logic and you have a number of false statements, though I'm sure they are inadvertent. I'll clarify for you and others. Your first point is valid, I just disagree. That is an opinion you are welcome to have... The advice or suggestion of staying with the SU7300 instead of upgrading to the SU9300 is purely on whether you think the $200 investment and coupon usage is better spent on a non serviceable part or on serviceable parts that can be upgraded at anytime later.

However, the rest of your argument is purely mis-conception. The SU9600 will not have worse battery life.

In the case of the SU7300 and SU9600 they both run at 10Watts power usage and same voltage 1.05v-1.15v...thus ~identical power usage.

If you fail to understand the facts, here is a quick explanation...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Remember the power consumption in a CPU is purely a measure of the wasted energy produced as heat resulting from the transistors switching and resistance from flawed traces.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rules:

-The higher the clock speed, the faster the transistors switch.
    -The more efficient the transistor switch, the less energy that is lost as heat
    -A higher quality lithography and process produces higher quality transistors
    -Smaller transistors produce less heat

All these SUXXXX chips follow the same manufacturing process from start to finish. At the end they are tested to see what quality the CPU was produced at. The higher quality parts are able to run at higher clock speeds while using the same amount of power as input.

The SU9600 vs SU7300 are purely buckets that various quality chips are 'binned' into then later locked at a certain multiplier. It is illogical to suggest architecturally identical processors running at the same voltage but different clock speeds would consumer more battery.

It's a common misconception that clock speed has anything to do with power consumption... it is purely a measure of the voltage and power draw related to a heat losing circuit.

Hope this helps.