HELP: Charging LED remains amber?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by MobileTechReview, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone else have this issue: the charging indicator LED on the notebook that lives beside the power port constantly glows solid amber even when the notebook is turned completely off. The only way to get the LED to go out is to remove the battery. Odd.

2. bozo8787

bozo8787 Pen Pal - Newbie

That is odd. No I had not noticed this, but then again I did not look for it.

The amber light usually means something is disabled or off. I could not image what that has to do with the battery in its off state. Unless if its some form of self test to see if the battery is still good or going bad. In which case that does not make sense with a new batt.

Well, if mine does not have the same issue, I wonder if it's because I did a clean install.

Edit:
    You may have read this already. From the user manual:

"The battery light on the computer displays the following charge status:
    ● Off: The computer is running on battery power.
    ● Blinking amber: The battery has reached a low battery level, a critical battery level, or there is a
    battery error.
    ● Amber: The battery is charging.
    ● White: The computer is connected to external power and the battery is fully charged."

3. MobileTechReview

Yes, I know the solid amber light indicates that the machine is charging (and that's how my Envy 15 behaves). The machine charges and discharges correctly and knows when it is or isn't plugged into AC. I'm guessing it's a defective or mis-wired LED :(. I've reviewed a lot of notebooks and this is a first. Makes it easy to find the machine in the dark though ;).

4. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

This bothered the crap out of me on my previous laptop - if anyone finds a way to completely disable this light I would appreciate it - I just hate any extra lights coming out of my machine when I'm not using it - I already have like 8 things lighting up the bedroom at night, and outside of taking apart stuff and physically removing the LEDs, I don't know a fix.

5. simi

simi Pen Pal - Newbie

Just use a black tape and remove it when you turn it on... :D

6. Fujilives

Fujilives Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha, as silly as this sounds, I've tried using thicker duct-tape style solutions. They never look nice to begin with, and the lights still shine through ;p.

Removing the LED physically is the only solution that 'works' unless there is a software/bios setting somewhere that allows me to change it's functionality.

7. MobileTechReview

Update: after a week of use, the amber light sometimes stays on for hours, sometimes goes off for a few hours (machine is not plugged in). But after a week of plugging and unplugging it, ever-so-slightly wiggling the power plug makes the light go on and off. A bad solder to the LED I surmise.

8. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

My stepmom has a somewhat similar problem with her tx2, but you have to wiggle the power cord to get it to charge. Is yours charging properly when you plug it in and just the LED that's messing up?

9. MobileTechReview

Charges properly, it's just the LED.