Help Buying Tablet PC, Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RizaCifra, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RizaCifra

RizaCifra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

I'm looking for a tablet PC that works well with Macromedia Flash, Photoshop, and other art programs similar to that. I do art and animations in my spare time, and I need a computer that can handle two or three of these programs running at once.

I'm not a huge gamer, so that's not really important. I do have music running when I work if that makes any difference with anything. I'd prefer a convertible since this will also be used for regular school work.

I've heard the Toshiba Tecra M4 andthe Toshiba Portege M400 are good, but what's the best one? I'm tired of having a computer that lags insanely when I work.

If there's any more information about how I work that I can provide, please ask!

Thanks so much!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the deciding factor here will be the 'two processors' on the M400 that will help you in your choice.
    With one processor looking after the system and the other handling the intensive graphics this should be quicker than the M4.

However, don't forget RAM.....
    The bog standard 512MB is not going to be enough for your needs.
    You need an absolute minimum of 1GB and I would be looking more towards the 2GB mark. :)

3. dower

dower Pen Pal - Newbie

For those applications, RAM is the most important. But Extra horsepower never hurts. I have a HP tc4200, and I run those apps fine. If you want less lag, get a Core Duo and Max the RAM. The only other consideration would be drive speed, if the system can handle it (I think most will), upgrade to a 7200 rpm HD, it'll cost you, but that will help too.

4. RizaCifra

RizaCifra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm... Thanks! Out of curiosity, what tablet PCs are to be released in the near future? I kind of need the tablet in the next month or so, but I'm not very up-to-date with tablet PC release news. Can I expect anything significantly better than what is available at the moment?

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With the exception of Toshiba (already have the M400), most of the leading players will be releasing new tablets shortly.

The FS T4210 looks a very nice and tidy machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.