[Help) $150 Gaming PC build complemented with stylus convertible

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Mooni_nooni, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone!

I had a good idea that will make the best of money , And that is to separate my needs. So you'all probably saw me post a lot here lately, And sadly I'm still getting no where close to what I want.

Instead of trying to buy a laptop that can do it all (slightly :^1) I will put my gaming requirements into a $150 [$200 max] gaming PC build (yes it is possible).
    And compliment it with a Intel Laptop (touch & pen digitizer screen) to draw with (yes I need to run photoshop and animate)

So I Need help with building PC shopping list. I'm very outdated sadly when it comes to desktop parts (I got lazy and lost track :'^] )
    So my currently plan for a budget gaming build according to my bad research is AMD Apu, some between the A6 to A10 .

∆ -what games I will play? I want to play anything decently at reasonable low settings and runs the game smoothly in those settings. (But not too low!)
    Ex: Guilty gear xrd, overwatch , FF13.

Note: I CAN BARELY DECIDE WHICH APU THAT CAN PROVIDE THE PERFORMANCE I NEED! (At the right price)

And the compatible Motherboard (as cheap as I can get)
    the size requirements for a case (so I know my motherboard can fit into my current case)
    And a cooling fan.

∆-If you have a better idea than AMD then please do tell.

∆-As for harddrive/ram no problem with that.

∆- As for a laptop I like the idea of buying a T902 . But I would prefer something more newer (just to keep my mum quiet on why I would buy a old laptop)

• I'm artist so i draw on its screen and run Photoshop. (Core-i5) my laptop budget is from $400 to $550 ($600 max)

Advance Thank you to anyone who provides info!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Before I answer this, allow me to preface this with the statement that the OP needs to be fully aware of the bitter truths of gaming at this low of a price point. My default response would be an AMD Bristol Ridge APU build since a $200 total budget with just $20-$30 to set aside cannot possibly afford a graphics card worth its salt where an APU's integrated graphics will soundly outperform it. Given the OP's outrageously low budget of $200, the OP can only afford a $70 A8-9700 and that will be a very tight budget with no wiggle room and I hardly doubt he can even manage a budget that low without Cyber Monday deals. Keep in mind that an APU is not going to net more than 720p gaming at medium settings in the very best of circumstances. My suggestion: wait. AMD will be releasing Raven Ridge Desktop APUs at the beginning of 2018 that will mop the floor, absolutely obviating and superseding Bristol Ridge.

If the OP waits, prices will drop dramatically across the board and the OP could very likely get a much better Raven Ridge APU instead of the potato-quality Bristol Ridge APU listed above whose CPU performs barely on par with a fourth generation Core i3. The selling point of Raven Ridge is a 50% CPU performance improvement, a 40% graphics performance improvement, and 50% better power efficiency. This stark difference makes it nonsensical and foolhardy to jump on a ultra-low budget PC this close to Raven Ridge's release. But if the OP insists in spite of being forewarned with all this dissuading data, I can, against my better judgement, draw him up a PC build on PCPartPicker.com and provide him a link to it here. You will essentially have obsolete technology right out of the gate. Your choice, OP.

EDIT: I will just go ahead and put down the rough build now. Use this part list at your own risk and discretion.

Actually, it is not possible. Inflation is real. The days of the sub-$50 Athlon XP are long gone. Because of this, I was originally planning on $200-$250 for your build. However, due to the ongoing DDR4 shortage plus a lack of rebates, I had to raise the price range to $250-$300.

$250-300 Budget Gaming PC Part List - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz Socket AM4 65W AD9600AGABBOX Desktop Processor Radeon R7 – $69.99 + $0.99 Shipping
    Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV AM4 AMD Promontory A320 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard – $49.99 + Free Shipping
    Memory: Team T-Force DARK 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400 – $69.99 + Free Shipping
    Storage: WD - Western Digital 160GB SATA 3.5 Hard Drive - WD1600AAJS – $15.99 + Free Shipping
    Case: XION Gaming Series XON-310_BK Black with Blue LED Light Steel / Plastic Micro ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – $22.99 + $5.99 Shipping
    Power Supply: CORSAIR VS Series VS400 (CP-9020117-NA) 400W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply – $34.99 + $1.99 Shipping

Base Total:
    $263.44
    Shipping: $8.97
    Total: $272.41

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    hiramkey and Mooni_nooni like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am thoroughly impressed Sonic - I thought there is no way he can even build a PCjr for $300!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Sonic, this information is very useful you gave me more insight on what I could do. But the idea of making such budget PCs at $150-$200 is to thrift shop some of the components (definitely not the APU of course) and then in the future buy new version of the thrift parts.

I also didn't pay attention to the upcoming Raven ridge, if I can afford it I'll will buy it , but even if I couldn't I'm sure the some bristol apus will have a slight price drop.
    But what I have been wondering tho isn't the A10 series better than the A8 ? Or does the A8 just have better graphic performance as some say? (Regardless of how much they cost)
    Also is the DDR4 an extremely important requirement? Or ddr3 would do temporary?
    Because of the referendum in my country flights and stuff have been blocked so I have time to wait for the Raven ridge.
    As long as I buy my laptop first I can add more money to my build. A good smooth 720p more than enough.
    So if I boosted my budget well,what better option do I have ?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

I did just that–I thrift shopped for you as best as I could. You will have an incredibly hard time thrift shopping right now because you are in that awkward middle period when summer clearance and back-to-school deals are long over and we are still weeks away from Cyber Monday. And again, DDR4 is double the price it was last year due to the worldwide shortage as memory manufacturers transit to a new process technology. But I understand what you mean by thrift shopping—I was able to save around $500 by thrift shopping for the parts in my Ryzen Raven, my current small form factor Ryzen gaming and workstation system, which would have cost me around $1600-$1700 instead of the around $1150 I paid for it:

Part List:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BQF6Gf
    Completed Build:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/84NQzy

7. sonichedgehog360

The A8-9600 and A10-9700 are actually very close in gaming with the A10 having the edge. However, the A10’s performance advantage is around 3-5 frames per second or around 5-10%. In price to performance, the A8-9600 is the best bang for your buck. As with anything, after a certain point, you pay a premium for smaller and smaller improvements. The A8 is the point of diminishing returns: you can pay more for the A10 but the differences are quite negligible. The CPU and GPU results below show a 5-10% performance improvement with the A10:

PassMark CPU Benchmark:
    A8-9600 - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-9600&id=3004
    A10-9700 - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-9700&id=2900

Suite of Graphics Benchmarks:
    A8-9600 -

A10-9700 -

8. sonichedgehog360

The funny thing I learned is just how much of a hefty premium we pay for this level of performance crammed into ultra low power tablet PCs. This ~$250 PCjr has approximately the same level of CPU and graphics performance as the $1000+ Surface Pro 4 i7.

PCjr:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-9600&id=3004

Surface Pro 4 i7:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6650U+@+2.20GHz

bloodycape and dstrauss like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

Yes, DDR4 is extremely important for future proofing. Ryzen-based processors, including Raven Ridge, will only be compatible with DDR4. So down the road, you could keep the same DDR4 memory if you opted to upgrade from your Bristol Ridge-based A8 processor to a Raven Ridge processor or any other Ryzen-based processor. In addition, DDR3 will bottleneck the integrated graphics which have to share the memory bandwidth with the processor. One last suggestion: get two sticks of DDR4 in a kit like the one I linked. That way, you will have run your memory in a dual channel configuration for double the bandwidth, which will also help the integrated graphics to not be bottlenecked. If you just get one stick of memory, your memory bandwidth will be halved and integrated graphics performance will greatly suffer.

10. sonichedgehog360

Waiting at this point is highly advisable so it is fortunate to hear your current sociopolitical situation has at least this bright spot in this regard. As far as your budget is concerned, you stand to gain multiples of the performance of the A8 if you upped your budget. Typically, this sweet spot for budget gaming PCs is around $500 to $700 where you stand to get the best price-to-performance ratio. With this roughly $500 system below, for example, you would have around 1.5x to 2.0x the processor performance and around 5.0x to 6.0x the graphics performance of the A8. You could also make this build cheaper than shown by buying the case, power supply, memory and hard drive I recommended for the A8 build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/DMdnTW/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM