Helix 2 initial setup

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by XPAS, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XPAS

XPAS Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordred a Helix 2 with the the Pro Keyboard. I already read the User Guide from the Lenovo site but I still have a question:
    Should the initial setup (first start) happen in tablet standalone mode or docked in the Pro Keyboard ?

2. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would do docked mode, that makes typing easier and will make sure everything is detected on first start. It will also perform a bit faster when docked so the setup should go a little quicker...

Just give it time after it drops you on the start screen and keep in mind that it still has a lot of indexing to do and possibly syncing from any other Win 8 devices you might have (if you use those features).

Then go through and uninstall any Lenovo Bloatware you don't want.
    Then do the check for updates (Lenovo System Update) to make sure everything is current (drivers and BIOS)

After that you have a pretty good "clean slate" to start with.

3. XPAS

XPAS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that's exactly what I did. The only "bloatware" I cleaned was Norton which I replaced with Kaspersky Internet Security (I have a 3 PC license).

If you wonder why this reply is so late, that's because getting the darn thing was an adventure. Ordered from a local web store on Apr. 28, it got lost on it's way from their source to them, and I had to wait for 30 days before I could get out of the deal and get my money back.

I then ordered from Lenovo and it was delivered directly from China. Of course, I made the mistake of configuring it with the smartcard reader, which makes it impossible to use it with the Protector and the Cover I had ordered in May.

Speaking of Windows updates which get installed pretty soon after setting the machine up, I had a big scare: the Helix would not restart after applying them, it would get stuck at the POST screen. I event tried Recovery mode to no avail (this happening on a week-end, or course. As I was ready to pick up the phone to call Lenovo support on Monday, the Helix DID start-up . Turns out I had unplugged the USB Ethernet adapter in the meantime.

This means that the USB Ethernet Adapter can prevent a boot-up in some circumstances.

Another small issue: if you want to backup up with a incremental scheme, be sure to turn Bitlocker off (it is on by default), otherwise the C: partition's file system will not be recognized and you will get a full volume backup-up every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.