Heat Problem with Fujitsu T4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by TabletX, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any suggestion over how to resolve the heating issue?? Fujitsu was no help.

2. DaVuLf

DaVuLf Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the temperature? My 4020D runs at around 46-49 celcius.

3. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah my friend's comp is running at that temp also. That is extremely hot and I noticed the different because I am using a Toshiba Portege M400 and it run normally at 27 C, so yeah......... Doesn't the extreme heat bother you? Have you contacted Fujitsu about it? Have they done anything about it? Thanks for your help.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

27C..... my apologies but can you verify this..... Even a cold booted system would run at 28C.
    Once it starts to heat up, the temp should be around 32 - 46C (depending on the ambient temp that is)...

i.e. an air conditioned room with a temp of around 20C would be around 33C on your tablet whereas an unairconditioned room at 30C would generate around 42-46C on the tablet.

5. DaVuLf

DaVuLf Pen Pal - Newbie

P8RSON, running an Apache server from my Tablet generates 46-49. The room is probably 25C.

I can't really hear the fan going when it is this temp.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is slightly higher than I would have expected.
    Not a worrying amount but higher nonetheless.

My T4210 arrives on Monday. I will be able to pass on my readings a few days later.

In the meantime, any other T4020/T4210 owners, could you please pass on your readings.
    Thanks.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

46 C isn't that hot. My stupid dell 8100 laptop routinely used to hit like 52 C+, but that was all back in the good ol days of the INDESTRUCTABLE piii -m chip. That thing could run at 80C all day long and probably wouldn't even burn up until 100C+

Don't know about the core duo specs though. Most processors are fine up till 60-70C anyways (which is their normal operating range) 70C+ is a little hotter I guess.

Maybe Fujitsu is bad at making heatsinks?

8. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Heatwise, it's quite funny to notice the different ranges for heat in CPUs...my desktop has an Athlon XP 1600+...currently running at 58 degrees but i've seen it as high as about 70, which is still well within the tolerable limit for this chip (from memory it tops out at 90 degrees)...the newer Athlon 64s would be hitting their limit at that temp...

It's quite funny with the debate that's been going on about heat in the 4210 and the M400...everyone whinges about the fan noise in the M400 but it runs very cool, a few people have whinged about the heat in the 4210...you're always gonna have one or the other people, make up your minds!

At any rate, these things are adjustable to some extent...just remember there's a tradeoff between the two ;-).

9. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

I am sorry for that, you are partially right after about 20-30 mins of real usage I get about 33 C for the M400, but no more than that and that is a far cry from the 46 C - 49 C that the T4210 is running at. However, with cold boot and within 5-10 mins that was my temp.

10. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

My experience with the M400 consists of about 30mins of in-store play (plugged in); but the unit had been running all day (that is, running a screen-saver), and I played with it for a while, and honestly, I could barely feel the slightest warmth anywhere (underneath, keyboard/palm-rests). Now, obviously I wasn't doing anything intensive... but still, that's pretty impressive.

The T4210, running similarly with perhaps a little more playing around (again, not running anything much at all), was what I would describe as regularly warm for a notebook. It was quite warm on the bottom, but my brother's Dell 600M gets hotter than that, and all of the other tablets I touched that day were similarly hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.