Heads up, peeps! 27QHDs

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by thatcomicsguy, Dec 18, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of course I suggested that they should carry the Surface Studio. :D

2. Brian123

Brian123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, after ordering an MSP 16, I'm thinking of selling my 27QHD Touch and Ergo stand, but not sure what a fair price is today. Though, that mention of the B&H refurb price gives me an idea.

Anyone here actually considering one soon?

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has the MSP 16 arrived yet?

You might want to try making art on it for a week or two before deciding to get rid of your desktop setup.

16" is okay I find, but I still prefer my 21" desktop; it allows for more control over and awareness of whatever piece I'm working on.

I don't think 27QHD boards will seriously drop in value for a while yet, so you have time to experiment.

Anything >$2000 ought to net you a reasonably quick sale, I'd say. Higher than that, and you might find yourself waiting for a while.

4. Brian123

Brian123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually received it, but had to send it back for a replacement and didn't get much time with it. Now I'm outside my return window. It would of arrived today, but weather has delayed it.

You are probably right about giving it a full trial before making any decisions with the desktop. Though, I am expecting changes ahead where mobility will be a better option for me and fear the 27QHD would be wasted.

When at my desk, I plan to link the MSP to my desktop and use it for ZBrush and Painting, then set a button to switch the pen to a Dell 30" u3014 for modeling in MODO and other tasks, like an Intuos.

I really wish the Link accessory was available now. I have no idea how hot or noisy the MSP will be in Cintiq mode, which could greatly diminish the experience compared to the 27QHD.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually... Back when I had a 14" Tecra mounted to my drafting board, it worked out really well.

I think being mounted at a fixed and reliable angle was what made all the difference. I find drawing while in a couch or whatever makes it difficult to stay on top of an illustration. The angle is always different, but when you are able to go back to a fixed desk setup, your brain always knows what to expect; things like proportion errors don't crop up so much, and general canvas awareness allows you to make the most of a given work space.

If you had a desk rig where you always plop down your MSP in the same spot, then you could probably do okay without the giant Cintiq.

12" however, even fixed to a drafting board, was a constraining canvas size I found, (back when I did the same thing but with a little Toshiba tablet PC). 14" at 4:3 was as small as I'd want to go. The 16:9 ratio of the portable Wacom is a bit on the narrow side, but at 16", remains workable. I use a Dell 16" as my portable, and find that it's pretty good.

Even so, I still really enjoyed upgrading to 21" desk space.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 9:27 AM