Headphone static on the R1E (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by son_goku, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

Edit with update: Alas, husband finally encountered the static tonight. There's more of it when he moves the mouse around, as folks have mentioned. Looks like it wasn't fixed. But then again...given that it changes with the mouse...that strikes me as more of a software than hardware issue.

Old info:

I know folks have been curious about this, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

So far...I haven't heard anything that I'd call "static". Mind you, I've never heard the R1F, so I can't compare.

What I experienced tonight listening to a song from a CD on the R1E-B1 was that when there was music playing I had a pure, clean, enjoyable experience.

When there wasn't any music, there was a faint electronic beep/whine that intermittently came and went. The sort of thing that could drive you crazy after an hour or so, but you wouldn't notice it for the first 5-10 minutes. Not what I'd call static, though, and I honestly didn't mind, because I don't intend to have the headphones on if I'm not listening to something on the laptop.

Hope that is helpful, and if anyone else checks out the earphones too, maybe they could post their experiences as well for those who are concerned about this.

2. jhs

jhs Pen Pal - Newbie

jerelyn,

Does the beep/whine you mentioned change as you move windows around on the screen?

Thanks.

3. jerelyn

jhs, we finally heard the static tonight. It does happen more when you move the mouse around. Which strikes us as more of a software issue than hardware, tbh, but I"m sure others have looked into it more.

4. dsy

dsy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

Did you have static through SPDIF (with digital speakers) ?

Thanks.

5. jerelyn

I will check that today.

6. tycoon18

tycoon18 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my R1E and i used the same headset that gave static on my R1F but on my R1E i have no static at all even with the same headset :D

7. jerelyn

That's excellent! Maybe we're hearing something new/different? Was the static for the R1F something you heard even with music? What I'm hearing is only when there is otherwise silence on the line, and its pretty subtle.

We still haven't been able to try with digital speakers/headphones. Turns out the SPDIF is in fact optical SPDIF, which is wonderful (higher quality signal), but we don't have the necessary adapter to use it with our home entertainment sound system. I'll get back to that in a week or so.

8. tycoon18

tycoon18 Pen Pal - Newbie

static on R1F when listenining to music is almost unnoticable because the music is very loud compared to the static. But mostly its only noticable when its silent and when you move your mouse cursor.

9. son_goku

son_goku Pen Pal - Newbie

The audio static problem is very weird. In my R1F the static is much more pronounced when I move a window on the screen. I also found out by chance that the static goes away when the CPU is busy, i.e., there is absolutely *no* static when the cpu is working heavily all the time, that is, continuously. Choosing the "battery saving" modus and letting some program that occupies the cpu run in parallel to listening to audio works just fine.