HDMI Cable directly from slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by minikui, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

I did not find this from the forums yet, so if I'm asking something already here, please link me to the correct thread.

I was trying to find out if there is an accessory available that lets me connect my tablet directly to external display (TV or otherwise) without always carrying the dock with me. Is there such a cable available?

EDIT: I'm thinking here, going to a friends, connecting the tablet to a projector, watching a movie, having a beer.

2. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't seen such a cable/adapter, but I'll make one, plus a standard 19V charging jack.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

4. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Daring plan, I think. Where do you plan on cannibalizing the connector from? :confused:

If you make one for yourself, I'm interested to hear how it was made. I would not dare attempt crafting one myself, atleast without first knowing exactly what and how to do.

5. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, yes - completely forgot these even exist. Never actually used one before. Some searching reveals that it should be able to put out 1280x1024@60Hz but that did not specifically state "frame rate".

Theoretically, USB 2 is 480Mbps (per chip) which translates into 60MB/s, overheads not taken into account. 1280x1024@25Hz (PAL) video at 32bit color depth would give raw stream of 125MB/s, over twice the theoretical bandwith of USB 2 bus. Similarly the numbers are 1280x720@25Hz ~= 88MB/s and DVD's 720x576@25Hz (most likely displayed in 800x600 screen resolution, but any way...) ~= 40MB/s.

Not having too much faith in theoretical speeds, and taking the above as indicative only, I suspect that this solution may not be up to the task of video display... DVD viewing might be OK though.

Do you have working experience on them? It would be tremendously interesting to hear how do these perform in action. Concept is very appealing. :)

EDIT: Indeed, I failed to specify in my original post that I had video playback in my mind. Sorry about that.

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

The USB video adapters I have seen so far transmit compressed data over USB. That's how such things or monitors with a USB input for display data can handle their task.

I'd be interested to see how the processing overhead necessary works out for such a low power device like the HP Slate 500.

7. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank's! That remainds me that USB transfers seem to be rather taxing just by themselves. If one adds some compression on top of that PLUS the decompression of a video file (720p in worst case), I wonder if we're reaching the limits of hardware.

Suddenly it feels like paying little more for an additional dock (and dragging it around) might be a better solution. It doesn't actually cost that much more than the USB graphics adapter. But I am beginning to see the virtues of it; no 3rd party driver and likely being less heavy on the already limited resources.

Damn it would be nice to have a simple HP accessory, cable from docking connector to display device HDMI connector. Wonder why no such thing has been made.

8. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have two EVGA USB-VGA adapter and use them daily for my UMPC that does not have any video output port. They work very well. The only problem is they cannot do 1080p HD at all and 720p is not smooth.

9. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I like the dock because it folds flat making it easy to transport. I've watched movies at my friends beach house on his 60"plasma without a hitch. So I would go with the dock.

10. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

I drive an external monitor at 1280x800 with my Slate, it is very poor at diplaying video at anything above standard youtube resolution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.