Having trouble dual booting on tx2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by y0ungSir, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. y0ungSir

y0ungSir Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I got W7 installed on my pc; however, when I try to get back to vista it doesn't work. I made a spare partition (9.5gb) for w7 and all the files are still there, but I can't get back to Vista for some reason. It goes directly into W7 whenever I restart.

2. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you installed onto a 9.5gb partition? Did you mean 19.5g? As I thought Win7 requires around a 15-16gigs of space. I made a 22gig partition and right after the install it only had 8gigs free, so the install took 14gigs. I made it larger for the space for the pagefile, hibernation, and other things.

I'm just going to throw the stuff out below just to be sure:

When you installed it, did you see two partitions to choose from? I also labeled my 22gig partition Windows7, so I found it right away during install, so I can't recall if it showed the size of the partition.

I bring that up because I'm worried that you may have upgraded or installed over the existing Vista partition.

Usually in Windows 7 you can't see the Vista hard drive or other partitions, as by default the other partitions are not assigned letters yet. You need to go into the administrator tools, where you created your partition, then make sure all the partitions have a letter assigned. There you should find out where you installed Win7. I'm sure you would know if the C drive while running Win7 was bigger than the 9.5gig partition you installed.

Also, have you disabled anything in the bios or other special performance settings meant to speed up boot time that could some how bypass the dual boot screen? And just to be sure, you did a full shutdown or used the restart command?

3. y0ungSir

^Nope, it's 9.5gb (I downloaded it from MS official site and it was like 2. something gigs) and I didn't overwrite Vista, and there's still 2gb left. Also, I'm able to access all my vista files (it's called d drive in w7) and everything's working fine. The only problem I have is trying to get back into Vista. Also, I didn't disable anything in the bios. And I tried a complete shut down, but it didn't work. Is there a button I can press (at start up) to access my available partitions? Furthermore, the 9.5gb I used before I installed W7 had leopard on there, but I formatted it to NTFS in Vista.

4. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Try using a BCD program (Easy BCD is popular i think) to repair the vista/win7 bootloader.

Or you can burn a super grub cd, its a bootloader which you can then boot any partition. (but this is more for diagnosis rather then a perm solution)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Definately sounds like a problem with your bootloader. I agree w/ the above post and using BCD.

6. y0ungSir

Yep, it was a problem with my boot-loader. I installed leopard over W7 and I was able to get back into Vista; however, when I formatted that drive, and tried to reboot, my pc said "boot-loader missing." So, I'm gonna try doing a clean install with Vista and later reinstall W7.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

like the previous posters mentioned, if you are in w7 you can just edit the bootloader w/ the program easy bcd, and its very easy to use.

8. y0ungSir

It's not working. Is there something special I'm supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't mind losing 7 you can always do a fixmbr from a Vista install disk. Do a search and you'll find the steps.

Also have you gone into the advanced system settings in win7 and chose Vista as the default startup? YOu right click on the Computer icon and choose properties. Then Advanced system settings in the upper left. It will open a new box. At botton under startup and recovery choose settings. There will be a drop down list with Vista and 7 as selections.

10. y0ungSir

^Thanks, I did it and now I'm back in Vista, but I don't know how to get back into 7, lol. Now it boots straight into Vista. Is there a setting I can select so it can just stop at a boot screen so I can select either one?

EDIT: I'm gonna dl bcd on Vista now to try to get back into 7.

EDIT 2: LOL, now I can't get into W7. I can't even see W7 on BCD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.