Having lots of problems with my tx2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Portugee, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portugee

Portugee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I bought a tx2513cl at costco about two months ago. In that time I have really enjoyed the experience of owning a tablet. I'm in real estate and tablets are great for our business.

The bad news is My tx2500 has been in the shop 3 times in those two months. I chose not send it to hp because I just cant be without my computer for 2+ weeks at a time so I used a local repair shop.

Heres what went wrong.

After one month the power plug got wobbly and would only charge if I positioned the plug just right. The tx2500 has pretty bad battery life so when the plug was in the wrong position it would kill the battery quicky. Then I'd have to reposition the cord and wait for it to power up enough to reboot. Frustrating to say the least.

What happened was the solder points on the dc jack became loose. I had the repair shop resolder it to the mother board and epoxy the jack to eliminate the wobble.

About a week later it would'nt boot up at all. Took it to the shop and turns out the hard drive went bad.

I had them replaced the hard drive but now with Vista reloaded its acting funny. Some programs wont load and some settings for the tablet still need tweaking.. Pain in the ass...

One more week goes by and now the computer wont charge at all because the jack itself is bad and they are having a hard time finding a replacement.

I'm pretty discouraged at this point with the tx2500. I use my PC in the car, at appointments and at home so I do plug it in and out quite a bit. The dc jack just cant take the abuse i'm giving it, I guess. The hard drive is common week spot I'm learning.

Anyway if your planning on using this thing for business at multiple locations a day you may want to buy a better machine.

If anyone has a suggestion for a tougher tablet let me know.

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

don't worry, i have a "similar" occupancy, and if ur laptop can't handle the strength i would suggest the 2710p from HP. sure it may not the THE best "tough" tablet out there, but it's affordable compared to most other widely known ones.

but the 2730p is a good option as well if you have a heavy wallet.

i chose the 2500 series b/c my old one's wireless pulled a Houdini on me and i REALLY needed a tablet for the upcoming week...

so far it hasn't let me down

yet :p

3. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

I have many tx repairs under my belt(3000+), and out of these I've seen only two real DC jack issues. And those two took some serious abuse. What kind of shop did you send it too? The real issue with the TX is the yellow tipped AC adapter. The tip breaks easily and does so in a way that makes the DC jack seem loose. The shop if not experienced enough may have created an issue where wasn't one, or may have even charged you for an unnecessary repair.

It is unfortunate that the hard drive has had a failure. This is a common issue with all laptop hard drives. The stress of constant movement does a real number on the drive. I would recommend a solid state drive if you really only use the computer for business related duties. You'll get more battery life, less heat generated, and they are not subject to mechanical failure. You also get a real fast boot up time.

One more thing, since your computer is still under MFG warranty, make sure to get HP to send you the proper restore disks. They shouldn't charge you for them since your computer has experienced hardware failure.

4. Portugee

Thanks for the replies,

I think I will be replacing it with the 2730p. Seems like a more business oriented unit.

Does the 2730p have a docing station? That would probably solve my plugging in and out too much problem.

Thokas.

I appreciate you bringing some experience to my situation. My yellow tip was fine but you may be right about the uneeded repair. After they did the solder and epoxy repair I still had to change my power cord to an aftermarket. I needed the larger tip to make better contact. After that it worked great until it would'nt charge at all. Do you think putting a larger tip in the dc jack broke it.

If my power cord was fine why was it not charging unless I pushed the cord a certain way?

5. Thokas

The metal that the yellow tip is on starts to fracture just inside the plastic black housing. You can wiggle the adapter around and hit it just right to get a charge. Commonly this is mistaken for a loose DC jack.

If the shop did solder and epoxy repair a perfectly fine DC jack they may have created more harm then good. After market adapters in most cases are fine. Although I've seen a few situations where an after market adapter has shorted out the whole system board. Could happen to any computer really.

6. Portugee

Hey Thokas,

So what do you think is wrong now? It wont charge at all with the aftermarket power cord.

7. Thokas

Couldn't say without actually looking at it. They may have damaged the DC jack. Or combination of a weakened DC jack and a larger tip could have caused further problems. I highly suspect the issue was just the AC adapter originally.

8. Portugee

Your probably right. I just read in your signiture, you had a year of refurb on the tx line. Wow who ya gonna trust? Huh... I think this is the first tx my shop has seen.

I still need a new DC Jack. Can you get one? This shop is having a hard time locating a replacement.

9. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow you are brave taking your laptop to a local shop, thats like taking a BMW to a used car dealer and asking them to rewire the entire thing. I would keep my laptop far away from there.

Hope you didnt void your warranty by letting them epoxy your DC jack to your mobo. Thats an easy thing to spot. =/ Good luck with getting it repaired!

10. Portugee

I would'nt call the tx2500 a bmw, and I had no choice. The longer I'm without my tablet the more time consuming my real estate dealings are and the more money I lose.

Anyway I returned it and got my money back today.

New 2730p on its way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.