Have found a way to put my Dell Venue 8 Pro in hibernate instead of just to sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hometownnerd, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I will have to try that nobb, may be a better way to handle it since I have an issue with wifi connecting completely on return from hibernate, says limited connectivity. Would you care to share your bat files, I would love to see what you have done, and can just be the wifi stuff, in case you have other stuff happening in those bat files.

Mikerman...my guess would be they do not know themselves, they just threw it out there and then see what people thought quietly. I have turned off all of my updating apps so live tiles is all but off and no email checking and it seems to still have the same issue.

One note for everyone using this, it does work the same in Windows 10, which I am loving so far, I liked the Windows 8 interface but I really like how Windows 10 handles everything.

Thanks everyone for the input

2. nobb

nobb Pen Pal - Newbie

I just made a .bat file using these commands:

To turn on wifi:
    netsh interface set interface "Wi-Fi" Enable

To turn off wifi:
    netsh interface set interface "Wi-Fi" Disable

Then I made a scheduled task to run these bat files upon standby wake, and entering standby via the following triggers, respectively:

Standby wake
    Log: System
    Source: Kernel-Power
    Event ID: 507

Standby resume
    Log: System
    Source: Kernel-Power
    Event ID: 506

I have set the tasks to run with highest priviledges. This seems to work 90% of the time, however, once in a while I notice that the bat file to turn off wifi does not trigger properly and therefore the battery continues to be drained in standby. I have not yet figured out why this is. If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

3. hometownnerd

Thanks you for the bat file, will try it myself. Thank you for your task setup too, I hadn't thought about looking in the on an event selection, and it is very helpful that you gave the event id, that will help me a lot.Just a thought about the 90% working part, what about using the bat file to cause the sleep. So instead of the bat file having just:

make it have:

Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

and then disable sleep in the power settings. I am not going to swear it will work any better than what you have but it may, my hibernate bat runs 100% of the time using the on idle trigger and then on conditions I use start task only if the computer is idle 10 minutes, and I personally uncheck start task if on AC power. Then I would think you could still your standby resume task. I will probably be setting mine up that way today to see if it works for me.

Thanks again for your information and help!!

4. nobb

nobb Pen Pal - Newbie

Good idea. However, I do like the conveniance of being able to use the power button normally to sleep/wake the tablet. Having to launch a file everytime to put the tablet to sleep is a minor inconveniance. I also do not like using hiberate because 1. It takes up the already limited storage space 2. It puts extra wear on the ssd

I have also tried setting the task priority to highest, which seems to help a bit...but the tablet still occasionally does not launch the .bat file in time before going to sleep

A tutorial on setting task priority to high:

https://bdbits.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/setting-a-scheduled-task-process-priority/

5. hometownnerd

I was just thinking to have it so if you were to leave it on for 10 minutes then it would fire and the bat file would then put it to sleep, not hibernate. I am thinking of switching to your method since I really do not like holding the button for 10 seconds every time to bring it out of hibernate and also to free up that space like you said. I see what you mean about the power button, so I guess you would need all 3 triggers to work the way I am thinking, yours for detecting the buttons and mine for detecting idle and then we should be able to turn off sleep in the power setup. I am liking this idea over the hibernate method, losing the network just about everytime I wake up is a very big annoyance and pressing the button for 10 secs is a decent annoyance. Guess I need to get to work on my tasks and on modifying my app also to sleep instead.

Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.