Have found a way to put my Dell Venue 8 Pro in hibernate instead of just to sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hometownnerd, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been getting rather upset with the battery life of my Dell Venue 8 Pro, while it is sleeping, it would run out of battery within 1-2 days of no use. Since I am a VB.net dev I decided to work on this shortcoming of Windows 8.1. I wrote a small app that gets called by a task that I scheduled to run when the tablet is idle after 10 minutes. What the app does is it checks to see if I have a set of apps running that I think should not cause it to hibernate, for instance ebook reader and media players and the like, it also checks for battery level and over rides the apps check if the battery is below 5% and will force hibernate. It also does not go into hibernate if the tablet is plugged in. It also will log every time it fires so you can see when it does fire and why it may have not fired. It works for me and thought I would throw it out there if anyone would be interested. It is not an installable app, just an exe in a folder with an ini file that houses the app list. I can attach if people are interested, although I do know many people will not trust random apps, all I can say is I use it myself and I coded it and it does nothing more than I say it does. I can attach the source code if you would like, but I am not going to claim it to be the best coding style ever.

Let me know if anyone is interested,
    Larry
    hometownnerd.com

2. garagebattle

garagebattle Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes please do.

Any way to customize the apps that block the hibernate state?

3. Burd

Burd Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds very useful. Hibernate and resume from hibernate is so quick on these devices I've been invoking it manually (using a cmd file) instead of hitting the power button put the device to sleep. The few seconds it takes is a small price to pay for the extra battery life.

4. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree completely, they do not take long enough to not do it...and losing 1+% battery over a weekend is awesome! I have made it so you can put the app names as they are in the taskmanager in the ini file one per line....I have made it so it will look for any occurrence of the name so if you put radio on a line it will look for radio, tuberadio, and radiotube and will not hibernate....seems straightforward to me, but maybe not to others.

If you want other options let me know or see anything that you feel is not correct or need help let me know. I am attaching the source code as well in a text file if you want it.

Enjoy,
    larry

Attached Files:

Yoyo likes this.
  5. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Woah I do also want to know on how to do this. Thanks for this. :)

6. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

I just saw this thread. Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing your work!

7. erokc

erokc Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have the battery problem. Could it be because I close EVERYTHING before power off?
    This habit comes from long long ago. I started programming before Windows on an Apple IIe. Old habits die hard.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The issue isn't with the battery itself but with how Windows handles the Sleep mode. And so, if you power off (that is, shut the system down completely) rather than simply put the system to sleep, no issue.

9. nobb

nobb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have spent alot of time trying to diagnose the battery drain problems of Connected Standby. I've found that the culprit is the fact that wifi is 100% on even during standby. My solution was to create a scheduled task that runs a batch file to turn off wifi when entering standby, and to turn on wifi when waking from standby. This has seemed to cure the battery drain problem.

10. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's amazing to me, with such an important facility, how little info. there still is about CS: how it operates, what functions it affects, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.