have anyone tried ubuntu 8.10 on TX2500 ?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Jor-dan, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oenggun

oenggun Pen Pal - Newbie

dear all,

I'm downloading the ubuntu8.10RC rightnow. .. might exprimenting with it during the weekend. Does anyone in the forum try to put ubuntu 8.10 ? does it have better compability? I only read about some incompatibilities on ubuntu 8.04 from this forum.

regards,
    ~un~

2. TheShrew

TheShrew Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed it on a TX2500, I had problems with the digitizer. Other than that, there is a thread on a Ubuntu message board which takes you through the steps to get the various components operational. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873188 If you never installed Linux before, you might want to get someone to help you who can.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. oenggun

oenggun Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks TheShrew,

I might give it a try myself. I've been using ubuntu, but not on TX2500. using ubuntu has been a great experience for me.

~un~

4. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

Great question.... Let us know how it goes.

5. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the newest distro in WUBI and found that the wireless worked. Unfortunately, there wasn't any touchscreen functionality and the active digitalizer was dead.had to uninstall it 'cause the computer kept on freezing.. only a hard reset would work. ..Willy.

6. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I installed 8.10 with a few issues:

- Stylus worked (with calibration), but no touchscreen
    - Mic doesn't work

Things I haven't worked on or checked:
    - Rotation
    - Pressure Sensitivity
    - QuickLaunch Buttons
    - Webcam
    - Remote Control

Here are two very useful posts on the ubuntu forums that have helped me set up Intrepit Ibex on my tx2500z.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873188 (instructions are for 8.04, but helps for 8.10, however you dont need to do acpi=off in 8.10) Basic installation is pretty straight forward. (Boot from cd, install, update)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5469447#post5469447
    This is a big discussion on how to configure the wacom digitizer. Again, the info is mostly from 8.04 but has some 8.10 updates.

7. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

I'm kinda partial to virtual machines.... it's free, and you don't have to worry about any drivers, except maybe for the pen's pressure sensetivity.

Of course, that way you only get a somewhat limited amount of system resources, but you'd be able to have Mac, XP, Vista, and/or Ubuntu all up at the same time... not a bad deal