Have any of you bought a refurb unit from the Fujitsu ebay store with cosmetic blemishes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by trialdownloader, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maradori

maradori Pen Pal - Newbie

woot my overbidded refurb T900 with up to 10% cosmetic blemish arrived today (hate you fedex), i'm so excited >///<

It looks like there are possibly some driver issues, based on what I'm reading? I wonder if anyone here has put Linux on their T900 and can share their experiences (I'll probably just dual boot)

edit, just de-boxed it and I do note minor cosmetic blemishes on the lid ... very faint minor scratches

Does anyone use the pen tether? Coming from an Asus R1F (which didn't have it) .... um ... how do I tether my pen? Xd;;;;

edit, oh I figured out how to do it .... ew LOL the pen silo is secure enough but wow ew tethering the pen looks so ... weird. it's looks like tying a rope to your glasses (I wear glasses and if I won't rope my glasses, I'm surely not roping my pen)

2. trialdownloader

trialdownloader Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think I had many issues before I clean installed Windows 64 bit, so you shouldn't have any out of the box.

Talking of Linux, I've installed Ubuntu "inside" Windows on my old tx2500 and I think I had some trouble getting the pen and touch working. I don't know much Linux stuff or how it works so I just uninstalled it, but I think there were some solutions for it, I just didn't feel like wasting my time with it.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Decided to update myself instead of editing. The news couldn't be better. I asked, and received, a replacement of my overheating ->fried T730. Ask and you shall receive! (Though, don't count on it again, nor suggest to others that they will have the same result; reason is specific to my machine and its history, to the best of my knowledge)

Not only did I get a new machine, which was shipped overnight to arrive Wednesday, the new one has the following upgrades vs. (original): Core i7-620 (i5-520), 4GB RAM (2GB), 64 bit W7Pro (32 bit - saved me the trouble of a clean install, which for some reason intimidates me :eek: ) and a 320GB HDD (160GB). Other than the cpu, these are all cheap or free to upgrade (I'd already installed the extra RAM and ordered a 500GB 7200 RPM "bare" drive, but both can be put to good use), but I am grateful for the time savings and $225 in cost savings. Folks, keep in mind: I have paid a net of $711 for this computer!:cool:

More than anything, it shows what a class act the Fujitsu direct sales organization is. Interesting observation: I spoke to three tech people at Fujitsu and all said they had never seen a T730 with a shot motherboard nor one which overheating problems, and this was after they diagnosed my motherboard failure as likely having been caused by overheating.

4. trialdownloader

It looks like I've fixed the wi-fi issue. After uninstalling, reinstalling, and trying a bunch of stuff and nothing working, I ended up installing the driver from Intel's site for the N6200. It's working perfectly until now... so yeah... just in case anybody is having similar problems that was my solution.

5. lovelaptops

Great news. I haven't had any wifi problems, but heat seems to plague me! Even my second machine idles with the cpus at about 45*C. Yours?

6. trialdownloader

I'm surfing with 20 tabs and it's about 45 C. That seems pretty cool too me. Does it feel warm to you? If it doesn't then nothing is wrong and the temp just looks high to you. Or it might be me... because my old tx used to burn my knee and this feels like an iceberg compared to it. Still from my knowledge, 40-50 C is normal. It might look like a lot but unless it's overheating or burning you than there's nothing wrong. Some warm air should be coming out the vent.

Also I've even been in the possession of a Dell Studio XPS and it got much warmer than this thing at idle and it sat on a desk all the time and it's still doing fine with it's new owner.

Concerning the wi-fi, it might have just been a problem with W7 64 bit and the fact that I also accidentally installed the other wifi driver (Atheros), but then again uninstalling that didn't help, only intel's driver did.

7. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I always use the drivers off of intel's site for the wireless cards. They are usually a newer version than fujitsu has.

8. lovelaptops

The biggest problem I have is that there is little consistency to the internal temps I experience. For example, right now I have 8 windows open in Firefox and one in Chrome and have been working for about an hour (on battery, and I'm almost certain the temp would be higher) and my present cpu temps are 49C. But even while just doing this kind of work (browser, MS Word, etc., I have experienced temps in the mid-high 50s and occasional low 60s. I know these components are designed to handle nearly 100C, but the hotter they run regularly, the more strain on them and everything else under the hood, and the shorter the life expectancy of almost every component inside the chassis. As it happens, I only feel the heat coming out of the vent when the fan runs and on the bottom just below the vent, going no more than an inch or two toward the center of the chassis. It's not nearly to the point of discomfort - unless you consider owner distress a form of discomfort.:rolleyes:

I know many computers run much hotter, but those with discrete GPUs, such as the Dell Studio XPS 16 are expected to do so. My concern, which is uncomfortably approaching paranoia, is that I found the temperatures excessive in my first Fujitsu refurb, and it eventually blew a mobo (or a defect in the mobo raised temps and broght the house down) and I just wish this computer, all be it with a Core i7-620 (but throttled way down on battery and even on A/C when nothing is taxing it) would idle in the 30s and stay well under 50 with mild use and virtually never exceed 60C (remember, that's around 120F!) except perhaps with many apps open (and running) and some video running. Just for comparison, my HP DV8 with Core i7 Quad cpu and a nVidia gt 230M gpu idles in the thirties, does web surfing in the 40s and only goes into 60s or low 70s with full screen (1080p, CCFL power sucking "old tech") HD video.

As long as this doesn't malfunction, I'll just have to get used to a little more heat than I expect.

I think I should change my handle to "hate laptop heat":(

9. trialdownloader

High 50s is strange, but I doubt it's completely uncommon. 60s are a bit worrying, but you might just be freaking out a bit by the temp readings. Mine are rarely consistent. What do you use to check the temperature? I just realized mine might be lower because Speedfan let's me regulate the fan speed. I just check Automatic Fan Speed and it starts up the fan when the temperatures aren't in the desired range. You could give that a try. You should try checking if there are any weird processes in the background first as antivirus scans and other programs might be running secretly. What's your average CPU usage while surfing? idle?

Also, the heat does damage the components over time, but not as much as people lead you to believe. Even my tx survived for 2 years and worked just as well as the first day after I'd restored it. It was at 60 C while idle.

The first thing that should stop working because of too much heat is the battery, everything else is built to withstand it pretty well and it shouldn't break for years. My dad has had the same Dell (Inspiron I believe) for 7 years and it runs extremely hot, and nothing has stopped working yet. My family has owned more than 10 laptops, and only one has had the battery die. Most are still in use next to the new ones they've gotten. I've had to fix all sorts of things on them (I need to get a shirt that says 'I will not fix your computer'), but none were caused by heat. The same one that had the battery die even had the fan break and it still doesn't overheat without it. These were all dell business laptops... that might have something to do with it, but... it shows that people exaggerate about heat issues.

10. lovelaptops

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I too am using Speedfan as well as SIW and Cupid HW Monitor, and there is a difference of up to 4C at times between the different monitors. That said, I could not get Speedfan to adjust the fan on a previous computer and I pretty much gave up. At your suggestion (and always feeling a little queasy about toggling a switch in a potentially powerful program because "a guy" told me to, lol!) I checked the box for "adjust fan automatically" However, when you go into Configure on Speedfan and select "Fans" nothing comes up in the box, so I'm not sure if Speedfan works on this machine either, or perhaps not without a BIOS change. Thanks again for the comments. This may just be enough to lead me to go for a repair on my first T-730 and, if their report on what they found/fixed/replaced sounds reasonable, make that one mine again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.