Have any of you bought a refurb unit from the Fujitsu ebay store with cosmetic blemishes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by trialdownloader, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trialdownloader

trialdownloader Scribbler - Standard Member

ps: Can anybody think of some way to get the two programs (or just the fingerprint one) without paying that absurd amount of money for it.

2. trialdownloader

It seems like Windows is failing to recognize the fingerprint reader. It is listed in the Device Manager but not under the biometric devices in the Control Panel. All programs I've tried from other tablets, or even trials I have tried, don't seen to work. It seems there's some problem with the drivers and windows 7 64 bit. I'll be looking into other ways to log on quickly... sigh...

3. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

There is another driver that makes it show up. I think this is it:

http://www.authentec.com/win7update/W7Wbf64.exe

Been a while since I ran x64 though.

4. trialdownloader

It doesn't do anything... and now Biometric Devices don't even exist in the control panel.
    I uninstalled and it's still not there...

Oh and not related to this, the wireless keeps switching itself off randomly. Anybody know what's us with that?

5. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Fujitsu provides all the drivers and software for the T730 on their site.
    Go to FUJITSU: Fujitsu America - Support and select:
    Product - "Notebook PC" / Series - "T Series" / Model - "T730"
    Click "Go" and you'll be provided drivers and software for Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows XP. In that order.
    Also, the list will be presented to you in the order they should be installed. Can't get easier than that.

Redownloading and reinstalling is your best bet for programs/apps anyway. It'll insure you have the newest version and also that everything will go into its proper place in your new OS.

Even just the 80GB SSD should be more than enough space for all your installed programs. As I said my wife not only has all her content creation programs and custom brushes, fonts, references, etc. on her 80GB but also many of her very large PSD and TIFF files and some of her music with over 20GBs to spare.

Have you been getting these drivers (Fingerprint and WiFi) from Fujitsu's website or your Resource Disc? The ones on the disc may not be 64-bit. Wait, you said you got the WiFi driver from Fujitsu's Japanese site right? Surprisingly foreign versions of drivers don't always work out well. WiFi for instance operates on slightly different channel separations in other countries so that could potentially explain your connection issue.
    I'd recommend installing everything from Fujitsu America's site, in order, as I recommended above.

6. trialdownloader

Oh, you're right. I did that because it wouldn't work for some reason when I got it from the US site. I'll go try again.

Concerning the whole fingerprint mess:
    1. In an excited rush I quickly installed the 64 bit W7. Although I believe even if I had saved the driver it wouldn't have worked because it's 64 bit.
    2. I go to Fuji's site, installed all the drivers.
    3. Restarted everything and realized there was no fingerprint enrollment program, and not even Windows listed the Fingerprint Reader under Biometric Devices in the Control Panel but it did list it under Biometric Devices in the Device Manager.
    4. I went around trying to figure out what happened and it seemed like I didn't have Omnipass installed, which only comes with the disk.
    5. I only had XP disks, which I tried and didn't work. I have no idea why they gave me these.
    6. I called up, they said the disks where probably because it had a downgrade option (I HIGHLY doubt this...) and they told me the 1 disk I needed would be $25.
    7. I didn't order it and went back to google. I installed some different Fingerprint programs (Like ten, I swear). None would recognize it. Omnipass 64 bit i trial wouldn't install. I thoroughly messed up everything.
    8. I did a system restore.
    9. I tried that program somebody linked to. It did nothing so I uninstalled it.
    10. I gave up... and used Stroke-It and configured a gesture to input web passwords.
    11. Everything is back to how I described it in #3.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. The site is midleading; it says "drivers: download in order" but makes no mention of software, but towards the bottom of the list the items are clearly software utilities, not hardware drivers. Still, seems to be missing a good bit of what comes on the computer. Also, FWIW, they tell you if each item is "original" or "update" and only ONE is an update. Recall, this computer was released last June. To have only one new driver since June suggests they either launched with iron-clad drivers, or they are even worse than HP at publishing updated drivers.

For now, I have a bigger problem: my MOBO is blown out. See the thread I started about it. I had what I considered too much heat from the get-go, but several Fujitsu veterans said it was about right, be sure to give the bottom some breathing space and I did it one better: used a small cooling pad. All seemed ok - temps in low 50s most of the time, but got there from 30s (the cpu cores that is) in, like, 3 minutes, but held. Today, I couldn't keep them below 60, even with just browser windows open. Tonight, went to come back from sleep, couldn't. Rest is described in my other post. I have gotten very good vibes from the FJ tech people all along. They had already sent this to the "escalations" dept (not open on weekends!) but the regular tech support phone staff did a great job of helping trouble shoot. Will keep you all posted.

8. trialdownloader

My wi-fi is still kind of crazy. If it stops working I have to disable and enable the the Wireless Connection through the Network (browsing the folder) otherwise, turning it on and off does nothing. It's really weird, but working most of the time, so unless it starts turning off every 5 minutes I won't do anything.

I managed to get the Fingerprint working with the TrueSuite trial and might be buying it.

Other than that I've decided to get a 64gb SSD since all the programs (including Windows) and files I need with me at all times only occupy 35gb, and I'll be upgrading my RAM to only 6gb. Right now on 2gb it's super slow in Photoshop. I would get 8gb but I think it's better to get 6gb and an SSD than just 8gb and a really slow drive.

9. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

You're on Windows 64-bit now right? If so and you're using the newest Photoshop (CS5) I think you'd probably get better Photoshop performance with 8GB RAM and a regular HDD than 6GB RAM and an SSD.
    Really the SSD only does two things: Makes everything load/open in record fast time and removes any danger of the HDD being damaged if you carry/move your Tablet PC while it's on.
    Once your Photoshop is actually open on your screen the SSD doesn't really provide any additional benefit.
    Of course Photoshop CS5 should still run great with 6GB, so the extra 2GB probably wouldn't give too much of a boost on its own anyway (although pretty much everyone out there will agree the Adobe programs benefit from giving them as much RAM as possible).

10. trialdownloader

Oh we discussed that the SSD would do nothing for Photoshop, but I've decided to take the tablet to school everyday so I'd like it to have an SSD.

Since all my stuff seems to fit in 35gb and I'd spend about the same on a 64gb ssd that I would on a big 7200rpm HDD I'd rather get the SSD since I don't really care to have my music and movies on my tablet (it's already all on my Archos) and I can't keep the slow drive it has now.

Of course I'll buy the RAM first and if I feel the need to upgrade to 8gb I'll do it instead of buying a new hdd or ssd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.