Have any of you bought a refurb unit from the Fujitsu ebay store with cosmetic blemishes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by trialdownloader, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctodd111

ctodd111 Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate the help. I guess I need to adjust my expectations and budget.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry I was not able to check in yesterday, when my name was mentioned frequently - at least not in vain :) I want to reinforce much of what was said and correct a bit.

1) It has been possible to purchase a 730 with the base specs (i5-520, 2GB, 160 Hd) and the wide angle screen for a bit under $1,000, but once you add a dual digitizer and any other upgrades, there are fewer of these and they command a premium.

2) To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a refurbished model without "10% cosmetic blemishes;" - the two go hand in hand - but most people, including me on 2 units, found no visible blemishes. It's just a cya for Fujitsu because these items have been used by consumers. So don't hold out for a refurb without the "cosmetic blemish" qualifier, but don't worry about it either.

3) Yes, my price, for a unit with base specs plus dual digitizer and outdoor screen was, to my knowledge unprecedented. There were no bids at all in the last 4 hours of the auction when the majority of bids usually occur. It was a "footbal Sunday" early in the season, is my only hypothesis.

4) There is no correlation between my low price and the fact that my unit blew a mobo after 2 weeks. That was an absolute fluke and a fully repaired and tested unit is on the way. FWIW, my refurb, "cosmetic blemish" unit looked brand spankin new on arrival.

5) Perhaps through this thread alone, the bidding at the FJ eBay store has increased lately, and winning prices have been rising; to my eye, the supply has also diminished lately. It is true that the ones going for $1,200-$1,500 have been "open box" or "new in box" items, and/or have had upgraded components (core i7, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD), but even the "plain vanilla" ones have been harder to buy for under $1,000, particularly if you want the outdoor screen AND multitouch.

6) Patience does tend to reward. Auctions ending late Sunday afternoon are a good bet, and I would think Thanksgiving day may be good timing as well.

There is still no better value in a convertible tablet than a refurb Fujitsu, even if you pay a bit over $1,000. Don't feel "ripped off" because I paid $761 or someone else paid 800-900; it's a very volatile market with relatively low supply and demand, so prices will fluctuate. Remember, your alternative to a good-as-new Fujitsu 730 is a new Lenovo X201t for at least $1,800 comparably equipped or an HP 2740 for $1,600 (but the latter has a very slow 1.8" HDD), and it's arguable that the Fujitsu is better than the others because of the amazing flexibility of the modular bay architecture.

Good luck!

3. trialdownloader

trialdownloader Scribbler - Standard Member

I was just pointing out bad luck... There shouldn't have been any sort of correlation, but you have be prepared for it if you're buying a refurb. You have to consider it's more probable that you might have to send it in for a repair, or call, etc.

4. lovelaptops

True. However, there is no correlation between the price you pay at auction and the likelihood of needing repair.

5. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

How about wear and tear on the keyboard? Do refurb owners notice any rubbing marks from previous use? Thanks!

6. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Not on my T5010 from a year ago.
    It literally could've passed as new, even had the plastic sheet on the screen to protect it during shipping.

7. tabletdummy

Thank you! Presumably the refurb includes a new plastic sheet on the screen. But this brings out another question: do people use some kind of protective film on the screen? If not would the tip of the pen digitizer scratch the screen? Thanks!

8. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

There were two screen protectors included in the box with my T5010.
    Right now that's what I'm using but I think I got lucky and got uncommonly good quality protectors in the box. I've read of some other members who got really poor quality protectors with their Fujitsus.
    If you don't want to go the screen protector route but do want to minimize the risk of scratching your screen with the stylus you could always opt to replace the regular plastic nib with a felt nib (which many people prefer the feel of anyway).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. lovelaptops

All of which brings me to a constant frutsration: finding a screen protector which a) doesn't distort the image for the worse (some actually improve the image quality, such as to eliminate the grainy appearance of the MT screens)nor, much more importantly, reduce touchscreen sensitivity to the point where multi touch is an unreliable feature. I tend to agree that the felt nibs are the best overall for screen protection, but I'm always looking to hear about a protector that doesn't reduce multi touch sensitivity to the point where it is of limited use for touch application. In the TM2 thread here there is quite a lengthy section on screen protectors, including videos of some 8-10 on the market! but the overall conclusion is that nothing on the market provides enough touch sensitivity to be a usable alternative. The Photodon Crystal Clear is best according to most reviews I have read, and it does a fantastic job of eliminating all graininess from the mt layer and improving the contrast and apparent color gamut of any screen, but it is not usable for frequent touch use.

By this I mean to suggest that the felt tip is indeed the way to go for the best screen protection available unless you either don't have or don't often use MT in which case the Photodon Crystal Clear probably is the best solution for both protection and color appearance. It's unfortunate that Fujitsu outdoor MT screens have as much graininess as they do - HP's Boe Hydis outdoor screen is nearly as good in terms of image quality and glare reduction, but has far less graininess, as do the Lenovo screens with MT that are not designated "outdoor," but have 270 nit luminance, which is farily good in indirect sunlight and bright indoor lighting.

10. tabletdummy

Thank you! The felt nib seems like the best way to go. The Hard Felt Nib is on back order. Would this Felt Nib fit? Thanks again! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.