Have any of you bought a refurb unit from the Fujitsu ebay store with cosmetic blemishes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by trialdownloader, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trialdownloader

trialdownloader Scribbler - Standard Member

There have been reports of the odd problem with Intel and Photoshop. I'll attempt to fix it later, but not now. Maybe when I get the SSD and have to reinstall everything. For now I'm not doing much memory intensive work because of the RAM shortage and for some reason even though it's on basic Photoshop's OpenGL rotate feature works, so it's not a huge problem. I'm just worried that the GPU is being taken advantage of.

SAI only supports Wacom, but I'm sure the problem stems from the several places. Some reported reinstalling drivers helped when their Intous tablets stopped working, but I just tried it and it didn't work, so I'm thinking it might be a problem with SAI, but I have no idea on how to fix it. Hopefully the day Wacom updates drivers it'll work, or when I change to an SSD. For now I'm using Wacom's drivers for tablet PCs because I had problems with Fujitsu's, that should cause any problems though.

Sigh... I'll just deal with it. I've messed with this thing so much, uninstalling and reinstalling, I don't want to get frustrated for something I'll have to refix later when I get the SSD. I'll save my patience for then.

The RAM offer sounds nice but buying an unknown brand is bad idea, and the offer might not be for the type of RAM I need. I'll be buying mine from tigerdirect. It's usually $150 for 2x4gb or 8gb.
    Please provide a link though, as I'll check it out. $115 sounds too good to be true though.

Oh, I forgot you now have an i7, that sure explains the slightly higher heat. In that case your temps seem completely average. I'm glad Speedfan lowered them though. Did placing it in the startup folder work?

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I haven't tried to do it because I am now certain I will not be keeping this particular unit, so I'll just mess around with it when I get *my* unit back, this whack-basswards touchpad is driving me nuts, and the standard Fujitsu screen is just not acceptable for a tablet; you can't see the display clearly in tablet mode when it's on a desk in landscape mode (my preferred orientation for tablet work), this being the mode that taxes vertical viewing angles, which are barely better than mainstream/crappy notebook screen on this screen, though the horizontals are quite good. I do hope they get the original working well; I want this machine but not with this screen, this psychotic touch pad. Hopefully getting it back late next week.

3. trialdownloader

If you're digitizer works fine then you're good. I was having some problem with calibration or something... I forgot what it was...

Lol, that happens all the time to me, I have to stop worrying about it.

Maybe, I'd rather just stick with tigerdirect and their handy memory configurator. I don't want to have even more issues with the RAM and spend yet more hours trying to fix those. I'd rather spend the few extra bucks.

I also had problems with my touchpad but disabling the tapping worked fine for me. I looked at your new thread and it appears that wasn't working for you... Sad to hear...

Mine still has spacebar issues but I'm getting used to pressing harder.

So what are you going to get in exchange now?

4. lovelaptops

!

I am hoping to get my original T-730 sent back from service all PERFECT and get that wonderful display back. Of all the things I will lose from my freebie upgraded one, I don't mind losing the Core i7, (to Core i5-520 - more than meets my needs), don't mind losing the 4GB RAM and bigger, faster HDD (replace those with $120). It's the damn 32 bit OS that pisses me off. I have had bad experiences with clean installs, and I have read that the process of getting a 64 bit (is it IDS? Some acronym for: "if you have the 32 bit version, we'll send you a key to download and install the 64 bit!) is a little tricky. I suppose this is a skill I should have, though. I dread the process of adding all the programs and drivers from the factory SW load. All options have problems. (I may have a plan for dealing with this :D :D )

5. lovelaptops

!

I am hoping to get my original T-730 sent back from service all PERFECT and get that wonderful display back. Of all the things I will lose from my freebie upgraded one, I don't mind losing the Core i7, (to Core i5-520 - more than meets my needs), don't mind losing the 4GB RAM and bigger, faster HDD (replace those with $120). It's the damn 32 bit OS that pisses me off. I have had bad experiences with clean installs, and I have read that the process of getting a 64 bit ISO is a little tricky. I suppose this is a skill I should have, though. I dread the process of adding all the programs and drivers from the factory SW load. All options have problems. (I may have a plan for dealing with this :D :D )

Called Fujitsu and asked them, since my first "thoroughly tested" refurb overheated and blew a mobo, would they kindly call me and review what they found and what they fixed just to make sure I am not going to end up with two dysfunctional machines to return or, worse, send both back to service and wait again, this time with no tablet to use? Doesn't look good, but calling on weekday means getting the people I know in the org to maybe help.

Oh, I accidentally erased you comment about my manic touchpad. I tried toggling tapping off long ago. Have tried every permutation of mouse settings and nothing worked except Fn/F4 - turn off mouse! Ciao

6. ctodd111

ctodd111 Pen Pal - Newbie

After actually seeing an HP Tm2 in the store, I am now ready to start bidding on one of the Fujitsu T730s from the Fujitsu store on eBay. I have two questions: 1) How high do the winning bids typically go? I was going to bid on a NEW i5-450um with 4gb RAM, dual digitizer, and BT with a 3-yr warranty but the bidding went over what I thought would be my maximum. The winning bid was around $1450! Is there any hope I can get one like that significantly cheaper??? 2) Is sales tax charged on the eBay machines? In my state - NJ - I would normally be charged sales tax if I bought directly from Fujitsu's website. Thanks!

7. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

We talked a little bit about the prices these auctions end up on page 2 of this thread.
    In the end there really is no way to predict what the final bid will be. It's random and it'll just require you to be both persistent and patient and bid as close to the last second as you can.
    I'd say with patience and luck you can land one between $800 and $1000.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. ctodd111

ctodd111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I did read through the thread and saw that *lovelaptops* got that tremendous $761 deal and *trialdownloader* also got a good deal for one without multi-touch. I do want the dual digitizer. I was just wondering if $1450 was a typical winning bid (if anyone really knows) or if I need to adjust my expectations. I am hoping to get one with the dual digitizer, outdoor screen, 4gb RAM, and BT for around $1000. I plan to upgrade the hdd to ssd immediately and possibly the RAM eventually.

9. trialdownloader

If it's NEW as in, in the Factory box it'll usually sell for more.
    If you want to hit your goal I recommend you either be patient, sacrifice some RAM and get the typical dual digitizer one with only 2gb, or get one that's a plain refurb, no scratches, but not new in the box. Or get one with cosmetic blemishes which don't really exist, those are usually under 1000.

The one you described for 1450 does sound a bit high, but not out of the average, although I didn't pay attention much to those. What really made that one expensive is the fact that it was really new, otherwise it would have sold for anywhere from 900-1200.

Tax is charged. I got assassinated by California's. :(

Lol, it's really bad isn't it?

Don't expect deals like this unless you're willing to wait years... That was an extremely lucky purchase and there were unfortunately problems with it.

10. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Good points trialdownloader.
    Ctodd111, since you're willing/intending to upgrade the RAM and HDD anyway try bidding on units with lower amounts preinstalled since you'll be more likely to win on a lower bid. Also, the refurbs not marked as having cosmetic blemishes really are in like new condition but will usually end at a lower price.
    It really would take legendary patience or luck to win one of these units fully-loaded and factory new for under $1000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.