Have any of you bought a refurb unit from the Fujitsu ebay store with cosmetic blemishes?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by trialdownloader, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trialdownloader

trialdownloader Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking of getting one but I don't want a scratched up tablet (Especially not the screen). If it's just slight scratches on the top it's fine, but yeah.. Anybody have any experiences or pictures. I'd be very grateful.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Funny you should ask :D . On Monday, October 11, I hope to take delivery of a Fujitsu T730 refurb/open box. I spoke with a manager at Fujitsu and she explained that they have different classifications for different types of "used" tablets in the eBay store - from "closed box," which means they delivered it and delivery was refused, box never opened but can't sell as new, to "open box," which means it was probably taken out and used a tiny bit, then RMA'd back, to "refurb," which means it was returned with an alleged problem/defect (they give refunds within first 14 days). In all 4 types (there are actually two grades of "refurb:" L1 - few/no blemishes, L2 - blemishes on about 10% of surface areas; they have lower categories, but they can't be sold on eBay, that's Fujitsu's policy with that outlet), they go through them, test, repair/replace anything which doesn't "pass" and put it up for auction on eBay with a 90 day wtty and, technically "No Returns," though based on my conversation with two different managers, they are reasonable about it, ie, if you get a "lemon," that keeps breaking or if the "blemishes" are over more than 10% of the surface areas.

Bottom line: nothing they put on eBay should have anything more than what I think you describe as acceptable to you. I had an issue with mine (conflicting info on listing) so I was able to discuss the actual unit I had won, and learned that it was an "L1;" I'm not sure if you can call and ask for the condition category of an open auctioned item, though you can try (just call 1-800-Fujitsu and choose Consumer Sales). But it sounds to me like there are no "beaters" auctioned on eBay. You can actually choose the condition in Fujitsu's Outlet store, but the prices are fixed and they are no more than $200 of list price. I got my T730 for $761, but that is very unusual - it is an $1,800 machine.

One last point: I happened to notice browsing at newegg.com that they have put all Fujitsu tablets on sale, from $200-$400 off regular price. This is very unusual as far as I have seen, so if you are willing to pay more for a new one (with a 3 yr wtty), you can still save quite a bit.

Good luck. I'll post my impressions of the one coming Monday.

3. trialdownloader

Cool, thanks for the info, although I still fear for the screen so I'm going to try and get one with no cosmetic blemishes as cheap as possible. I've been keeping an eye on how much they sell for and it varies very widely. The T730 I also had my eye on has gone from the low 700 to 900. (Pen version only)

It's quite insane. I'm going to wait and see if I can get that one at around 750 or a T5010 at around 550. The T5010 prices vary even more, from 540 to like 1100. It's crazy, and I have checked that the configurations were close and it wasn't just because one had extra features.

Newegg looks cheaper than usual, but still too expensive. I'm looking to buy the refurb and then update the memory to 6-8gb for less than 1000. I'm on a tight budget, and I don't care much for a warranty. I can fix almost anything that goes wrong with it.

If I can't seem to get them cheap within the month, I might settle for one with cosmetic blemishes, but I'm not sure. Please do post your impressions though on your unit. That would be great.

4. lovelaptops

I hear you, especially since they're non-returnable at the Fujitsu eBay store. Then again, I've found them very reasonable to deal with by phone and easy to get a manager, who has authority and intelligence to "do the right thing." My order was so screwed up by them, I think I have the ultimate "protection:" a corporate manager who got involved. Also, just for your info, this corporate manager of ecommerce for Fujitsu said they never sell refurbs at the eBay store that have blemishes on the screen, keyboard or an area you see while using it. She said they at most have hairline scratches on the bottom, or occasionally the top.

I too am confused by the incredibly wide disparity of prices. 2 year old Fujitsus are selling online for nearly $2,000, or, as you said, $500-$750. Just be smart, as you appear to be, and get yourself a good one at a good price. The downside of getting a non-Core i5/7 unit is you could regret it in 1-2 years, as it struggles with future apps written for Core i series cpus. That means, in Fujitsu, only T900 (13", heavier) or T730 (12.1").

Also, do try to get the "Bright, Wide Angle, Outdoor" display, even if you have to get one with pen-only input, vs. one with multi-touch but only the regular "backlit" display. The exact words I have put in quotes are the keys to which display it has. "Bright" is the single most important, as the current Fujitsu Bright displays (which I think are always wide [viewing] angle (claimed 160 degrees on website) have brightness of 300 nit, vs. 200 nit on the std display. Sorry for all those confusing parenthetics, but, bottom line, get the better screen, as 300 nit puts it in the top 10% of all notebook screens (the new HP Envy 14 "radiance" that is getting rave reviews is 325 nit; Lenovo does offer a 400 nit display on their (very expensive) tablets, but without multitouch, which you can get on the Fujitsu Bright screen, I was just saying that if you have only two in contention and one has multitouch and the std screen and the other has pen-only ("Active Digitizer" is the wording), IMHO, better to do without multi-touch, or wait for one with both. Bear in mind, the better display and multi-touch capability are each only $100 options on a Fujitsu CTO, so the re-sales should not sell at much of a premium.

Whew, that was a mouthful! Good luck.

5. trialdownloader

I think any display will be better than the one my tx2500 had. I don't care for touch at all. I actually disabled it on my tx2500 because I'd accidentally tap the screen. The t5010 only seems to have one option though: 13.3 WXGA LED Backlit active digitizer display, but I'm betting I'll be satisfied. My tx was a nightmare! Even if you looked at it straight on, the colors changed near the edges, you couldn't use it in portrait mode and the brightness was super low. And let's not mention the fact that the screen was grainy. As an artist, this was pure torture. I had to use my friends desktop to check colors all the time! As long as it's not that bad, and you can somewhat make out things in a semi-lit room, we're good.

But anyways, I'm starting to lean towards the T5010 (even if the processor is slow) because I'll have the money to upgrade it to 8gb of ram. It will be mainly used for photoshop. I think I'd get better performance with 8gb and a core duo than 4gb and a core i5. Plus I might have enough money left over to buy the t5010 an ssd and turn it into a monster tablet!

It's good to hear though that there will be no scratches on visible areas, I might reconsider the ones with blemishes now. Let's just hope I can get a t730 cheap before resorting to the t5010. t900 prices were fairly high.

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I got my Fujitsu U820 from the ebay store. It didn't mention any scratches or blemishes and it appeared to be flawless when it arrived.

7. lovelaptops

Can't take issue with your logic of spending less on the computer so you can turbo charge it with component upgrades. For "normal" tasks, an SSD will give you more noticeable speed increases than cpu or memory. As for going from 4GB to 8GB, I have never used an application that opened pagefiles on the HD, suggesting it ran out of ram and had to use "virtual memory." I'm not a Photoshop user, but I had the impression it was more cpu-dependent than memory, once you get to 4GB. I base this largely on test results that benchmark Photoshop operations, but there's no substitute for being the user and knowing where the bottlenecks are.

Still and all, I would suggest you seriously consider getting a good deal on a 730 with a Core i3 or i5 and the Bright screen. Especially if you do a lot of graphic work, the screen quality difference is likely far more important than the extra inch of real estate, and the bonus is a slightlly lighter machine as well.

But I have generally heard great things about the 5010, so you can't go wrong either way. I'll update you on my T730, hoping to get it tomorrow.

8. trialdownloader

To Leaftye:
    It says in the specs, highlighted in yellow if the refurb has cosmetic blemishes, otherwise you probably bought one that didn't.

To Lovelaptops:
    Photoshop is super RAM dependent. If you have more than 4gb, and you're running a 64 bit version of photoshop on a 64 bit os, photoshop can use all the ram it likes. Most people don't see a difference because they are testing it wrong or have an older version. This is how much ram it sees (the most you can allocate in the preferences) on CS5:

Photoshop 32 bit - 32 bit OS - 1.7gb (even if you have 4gb)
    Photoshop 32 bit - 64 bit OS - 4gb (even if if have 8gb because you're running the 32 bit version)
    Photoshop 64 bit - 64bit OS - all the ram you could want (aka, how things should be) (This is what I would have and it would work like a charm with my huge insane 100+ layer files)

The SSD won't necessarily make photoshop faster but it will save my gigantic files a lot faster and also open and close other things really quickly.

I will attempt to get the t730, but it would take me quite some time to get things upgraded. I'm sure the t5010 screen isn't half as bad. I was watching it in youtube and it looks very nice although I have to check that it wasn't the indoor/outdoor screen. (Is that one better or worse?)

Other thing is, Adobe took FOREVER to update PS to take advantage of 64 bit, so I'm guessing they'll take forever to take advantage of Core i CPUs... By then I'll have the money to get a Cintiq+Desktop or a brand new Lenovo.

9. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

I can tell you from personal experience that the T5010 is quite suitable even for fairly heavy Photoshopping.

My wife uses the T5010 with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, and an 80GB SSD with Win7 Pro 32-bit and CS4 and it runs and works marvelously. The SSD quite impressively opens Photoshop in about 2 second every time!

I've bickered here before about 4GB vs. 8GB RAM and personally I don't believe it's a make it or break it proposition. I'll probably never upgrade her T5010 past 4GB but the next tablet we get (in 2-3 years) will definitely have 8GB or more on a 64-bit OS (and probably be running either CS6 or CS7).

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

That's why I feel safe with their ebay store. My experiences and those of others indicates that Fujitsu is honest about the condition of their merchandise.

I didn't notice much of a final price difference between flawless and blemished items, so waiting for your ideal computer is the best way to go.

I'm also with you on upgrading the internal hardware yourself. Usually all I look for is the processor and screen, and maybe some other little parts that may be hard to find on my own. Upgrading the memory and hard drive as a diy project is much less expensive, often gets you better hardware than the OEM could provide, and provides a hefty performance boost. I'm glad to see you're going this way. Of course I say all that and I bought a U820 that's very difficult that has a hard drive and memory that's pretty much impossible to upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.