Haswell vs Broadwell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hawkeye62, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

There is much talk about the 5th gen Intel processors. I did a quick comparison of two i5 processors to see just what to expect. I used the ARK web site for information on the i5-4300U Haswell and the i5-5300U Broadwell. I don't see much difference. Lithography: Haswell 22 nm, Broadwell 14 nm. Processor base frequency: Haswell 1.9 GHz, Broadwell 2.3 GHz. Both have 2.9 GHz Max Turbo Frequency. TDP: 15 W for both. The main difference I see is the Broadwell has something called "Configurable TDP-down frequency" of 600 MHz and "Configurable TDP-down" of 7.5 watts, which I assume is some sort of processor throttling. There is also a slight difference in the Processor Graphics. Haswell has Intel 4400, Broadwell has Intel 5500. Base frequency: Haswell 200 MHz, Broadwell 300 MHz. Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: Haswell 1.1 GHz, Broadwell 900 MHz.

So, I don't see anything earth shaking and I don't understand why Broadwell would have 30 % less power consumption. Maybe processor throttling?

Anyone have any insight about the differences?

Best regards, Jim

2. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not an expert on all of the differences, but my understanding is that Broadwell has more control over throttling and low power states, plus the reduced die size gives you a smaller logic board with further reduces power consumption. The other thing is that they incrementally improve the power handling over time, however, with all of these things, the synthetic benchmarks may be a bit misleading, it will be interesting to see over time how much gains the new architecture gets over Haswell.

3. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

From 22 nm --> 14 nm, can use less power to get the same speed. It is important for the mobile. Also, the die size is much smaller provided that the same number of transistors in the die. Thus, as GFXmonkey said that, the size of motherboard can be smaller(the power supply circuit can be smaller also due to lower power consumption). Moreover, the power management is much better and as low as 7.5W only while in low power states. Thus, the battery life can be longer.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

From what I have read gpu is suppose to be a solid improvement, specially in the i core models. It has better support for 4k content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.