Has the SP3 actually replaced your laptop?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by VilasV, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VilasV

VilasV Pen Pal - Newbie

Title says it all. I wonder how the members of the forum are reacting about the SP3. I never had a microsoft surface before and I'm seriously staring to consider buying the SP3, but I'm also afraid I'll get frustrated with the compromises. So, has it replaced your laptop? Or do you still see yourself going to a laptop to "get work done"? Any feedback is more than welcome. Thanks!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Although I have to use a company laptop at work, I haven't used a laptop at home since I started using the Surface Pro (1). I still have my XT2 which, being a convertible, is technically a laptop but now I only use it as a "testbench" to test software and investigate Windows issues...

VilasV likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My laptop it's essentially my desktop and I consider it too bulky and heavy to do anything but sit on my table, so in that sense my SP2 has replaced my laptop, but it hasn't become my desktop yet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

VilasV and 0479 like this.
  4. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately I've had my SP3 for two weeks and I've tried to force myself to use this instead of my Dell laptop or HP Chromebook, but find myself still wanting to use those devices because they have much better keyboards and easier to use on my lap.

I wish Microsoft had done more to improve the keyboard. Since the keyboard is detachable, I'm not sure this mission to make it super thin is a wise one. It really detracts from what is otherwise a very nice machine. I love the SP3 as a tablet, but at this price I really need it to be a laptop too and the keyboard just undermines that. So I decided I'll return mine and just get an Ultrabook convertible. Something that is more laptop that has a tablet like mode. SP3 is more tablet that has a laptop like mode.

VilasV likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think it is going to depend a lot on what a person uses their laptop for. If the laptop being replaced is something like an ultrabook or a MacBook Air, the SP would yield an acceptable replacement (for some), but if you have a desktop replacement type of laptop and you need/want that extra horsepower it provides, the SP will end up in a companion role. Also, if you have no need for tablet input and your work is entirely keyboard an mouse based then there is little reason to go for the SP.

For me, my SP1 absolutely replaced my laptop (I never wanted to replace my desktop machines). Ultimately I decided (mostly because of the introduction of 8" windows tablets) I prefer the advantages of the clam shell laptop to the more tablet focused Surface design, but this was purely a matter of optimizing to my own use case. If I were to buy an SP3 it would be my laptop (as my SP1 was). I doubt I'd continue using both it and my T904 convertible ultrabook. I think this is probably the case for most of those who bought a SP3.

Also "getting work done" is a really broad brush. There are certain types of work for which my desktops and servers are the optimal tool. For others my 8" Windows tablet or convertible ultrabook are more ideal. There are many kinds of work.

VilasV likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I haven't used a laptop since my Surface RT, which was replaced by the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 which both have been replaced with the Surface Pro 3. I find it perfectly suited to use in my lap. I use it much more often as tablet though when not at my desk or table.

VilasV likes this.
  7. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

My laptops started getting replaced with the 700T. The 'SP2 replaced the last of them, see no reason why the Sp3 won't be the same (for my use case). Then again I don't try and do highly productive work from my couch so this need for a bulky keyboard in my lap is just alien to me. .

VilasV likes this.
  8. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

For me any tablet + keyboard product replaces a laptop. Because any serious PC usage is done on a desktop.

VilasV likes this.
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

The SP2 replaced my Thinkpad X1 Carbon and Nexus 10 but can't replace my desktop.

My notebook PC is used for when I'm mobile, I don't use it in my office and only for what I would call "light" computer work, get reference information, email/web, MS Office apps. Looking forward to 8/1 and the larger screen of the SP3.

VilasV likes this.
  10. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here. My SP3 has indeed replaced my Lenovo X1 Carbon. I still use a desktop for other applications that require a GPU.

Mostly Dota 2. :D

VilasV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.