Has size and form factor preference for your TabletPC evolved?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with this list, but would invert the order:

1. 8th Gen/16GB/1TB options (becomes "daily-driver" professional machine)
    2. 13.5" minimal bezel screen (match productivity space of 13.3" laptop)
    3. TB3 (increased docking options)​

The silo and kickstand are important conveniences, but I don't they shouldn't be prioritized over base hardware functionality.

Let's hope Samsung is saving the Galaxy Book + S/X announcements for MWC this year. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

In my new post-epiphany mode, that's where we disagree a bit. I'm learning (to my surprise) that i5/8gb/256gb for a general productivity app user, is no different from my SP4 i7/16gb/1tb days, other than ultimate storage space. I kicked mine up to 2/3 TB thanks to an expensive mSDXC card, but that probably wasn't even necessary - just a moment of storage anxiety run amock.

For me, as a daily driver and mobile workstation, the functional convenience items outweigh the power items (although, I would not toss it out if they could put a 13"+ screen in the same body).

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You mean your epiphany where you realized you would always come back to EMR?

I'm pretty sure of all TPCR saw that coming (including you). :p

Ok, ok. But you're limited to just those general productivity scenarios.

If you're a Chrome tab-monster, or a heavy multi-tasker, or a person with a large music/media collection, you'll be immediately turned off the GB12.

Why limit your demographic?

The RAM/SSD components are available (heck Samsung even makes those components). Providing that extra tier of hardware configurability, will let you nab the "prosumer" $1500-$2000 demographic that would otherwise turn to the SP5 (or traditional XPS13).

You want those customers, they drive the tablet PC market (profits)!

4. dstrauss

Well, right now I have 11 chrome tabs (across two sessions), Outlook, OneNote, two Adobe Acrobat files, five Word documents and one Excel spreadsheet going - the fan is running (fairly quiet compared to my SP4 or any of the HP's I've tried) and it is chugging along just fine. No background videos or podcasts at the moment, so may not be a fair anecdotal situation. That's plenty of horsepower for me.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LTT just did a video recently on RAM:

8GB allowed 25 Chrome tabs before page-file swaps began and 40 before crashing. I don't think I've ever come close to having that many open at once. @dstrauss, I'm curious how much your GB is swapping to page-file with that current workflow.

Tests like those show that I'd probably be fine with 8GB RAM, but since consolidated my Windows life into a single machine, I've decided to stay with 16GB for workstation tasks. If I went the 2 computer route like I used to, my mobile device would be 8GB.

16GB on this Chromebook is definitely unnecessary though.

6. dstrauss

I've never checked for a page file (do they still even exist) but if it did, how does that work with super fast SSD's these days.

Sure, I'd always take more RAM and SSD, but I would still rather have the S Pen in a silo and Thunderbolt 3 if i had to make a choice between those and the specs.