Has size and form factor preference for your TabletPC evolved?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Thanks appreciate that. It's just that a pre-emptive strike tend to make a gal nervous. Almost like walking the streets of Module.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Any chance the two are connected?o_O Seriously, having lived through your most recent series of ephiphanies I'll refrain from commenting except in reference to @Mr. Boosh 's comment, below.

I would, however, echo your apparent disappointment at missing out on this thread until now; I feel like the time I was 9 years old and found out my neighborhood gang had put together a marathon game of pick-up baseball and nobody told me about it :(; Moral: you gotta show up if you want to be part of the gang! FWIW, I'm a hybrid of, I think, @Mr. Boosh , @JoeS , @dstrauss and Sean Spicer: I crave clamshell form factor, consider Yoga hinge to be the only way to go, am trying to stay minmalist and...my Thinkpad Yoga 12 (i5-4200/8GB/128GBSATA) is the best and most powerful tablet pc - EVER! (Well, maybe price-adjusted; I got it for $400 as an open box 3 years ago)

I can vouch for @dstrauss on this one: this "honeymoon" has been going on for well over a month now! I think this one may stick for over 3 months, a full "marriage" between Mr. S and a device! I'm torn only because I'm hoping to buy it from him when he falls out of love :D

Ahem, I believe @Bronsky specifically said "Even a few ounces more in weight can make that task unbearable." Just Sayin.

As for WoA, this article , while far from definitive, was disappointing to read.

Who are you kidding, @Kumabjorn ? I find it hard to imagine anything making you nervous!:cool: But tell me please, where is Module???? I looked all over Google/Earth and could not find a place with that name!:vbeek:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Blame it on auto-correct. I entered Mosul, letter for letter. I guess it still corrects it if Module shows up as an option. These phone keyboards assume we are all morons, not sure I can blame them.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

Ok, I stand corrected, auto-corrected! (I think you and the keyboards are right about us; we who use them, and spend time searching words they spew, are perhaps morons! I refuse to use auto-correct; instead spend untold hrs/wk correcting texts or sending out non-words! But now you must spill (or link, if you've told this story before): when/why were you strolling in Mosul?

5. Kumabjorn

The modality in the sentence was potential. The previous sentence talked about a pre-emptive strike, Mosul is a bedlam of those strikes, walking the streets there should make ANYONE nervous, including a gal in 6" heels.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@lovelaptops

Jeff - my finger lingered a long time over that "Like" button before giving it a nudge - but you saved yourself thanks to @Mr. Boosh - I must admit, my epiphanies are far too frequent and sometimes inconsistant, by @Steve B was spot on - I inevitably come back to Wacom EMR and a single device.

But I have been rocking the GB 12 (Jr and now Big) since the first of the year, and I have to say it has been an eye opener. Especially the GB12 Big. I already reported how good the Jr was doing with just some latency and delays (what do you expect with only 4gb RAM) but the Big with its 8gb RAM is as smooth as silk; do latency; no delays; no tab refreshes - just rock solid.

Can't imagine what WoA will give us in this space if Samsung tweaks this one.

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  7. dstrauss

Since adopting the Samsung GB 12 , I've been thinking about form factor vs function - a lot.

The GB 12 is only marginally heavier and mostly smaller (except thickness) than an iPad Pro 12.9. I know it is nearly identical (and slightly thinner) than a Surface Pro 4, but the rounded edges and rest of the design scream "I'm smaller and easier to hold" (just don't expect a kick stand). If Samsung were to make the following tweaks inside the existing frame of the GB12 they would have the killer device:
    1. Add an S-Pen and silo - that alone would seal the deal for most folks.
    2. Upgrade at least one of the USB C ports with Thunderbolt 3 - you can stop here now Samsung, the rest is just gravy.
    3. Bezel-less screen (could squeeze 13" into this puppy).
    4. Offer up to 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD (notice how far this has fallen from my lists of yore)
    I don't care about more battery - on productivity apps the GB12 is pretty hearty (6-7 hours) and the fast charger is barely larger than a phone charger. How's that for efficiency. I don't see how Snapdragon 845 can compete with i5 other than battery life, so why WoA (except for pocketable folding tablets)?

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I dunno. I'm not seeing much room in-between my GB12 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (which I have not yet bought).

My addition to your list though, and above all the others would be to change the first to a stylus w/ rocker side button and eraser (in a silo) and being allowed to install the Wacom Feel driver.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

Many apologies, my good man. That was just a very lame attempt at a cheap laugh on my part, nothing else. In the future I'll leave the humor to people who are genuinely funny - like @dstrauss :) Very sorry Dale

10. dstrauss

That's a great idea, but remember the newer S-Pens do have side button (programmed for erase in my experience); I don't know how they can make the top an eraser that won't scratch the screen but still allow you to easily remove and insert.

JEFF - I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS APOLOGIZE TO YOU (and again to @Kumabjorn) - my pity party digs ARE INTENDED as humor as well - you guys are great and funny - I'm just playing Rodney Dangerfield in those instances - will try to dial back the counter-punch humor (at least a bit).

Besides, you were right - I've had more epiphanies than Trump and Obama combined (humor again folks - no need to flame across the political spectrum). Hopefully this one will stick.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018